Scoring broken caps

Tomme Trikosko

May 25, 2013, 1:00:20 AM5/25/13
to brood...@googlegroups.com
#001578  How should broken caps revealing unpigmented adult forms be scored?  drtri.rm

Reed Johnson

May 26, 2013, 9:49:35 AM5/26/13
to brood...@googlegroups.com
I think those should be scored as "Dead".  It is kind of rare to see uncapped pupae like that -- but it is a sure sign that those pupae will never emerge into adult bees.  That particular colony died/absconded and the capped brood were left without nurse bees to maintain them.

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 1:00 AM, Tomme Trikosko <dr...@rocketmail.com> wrote:
#001578  How should broken caps revealing unpigmented adult forms be scored?  drtri.rm

.
Reed M. Johnson
Assistant Professor
Department of Entomology
The Ohio State University
Ohio Agriculture Research and Development Center
118 Thorne Hall
1680 Madison Avenue
Wooster, OH 44691
(330) 202-3523 (office)
(330) 439-8295 (cell)
(330) 263-3686 (fax)

Bryant Weber

May 26, 2013, 11:08:29 AM5/26/13
to brood...@googlegroups.com

Actually, this is normal behavior for a VSH colony. They uncap and re-cap brood where they think varroa are present. I breed VSH queens. It was disturbing to me at first but many to most of these recapped larvae survive. When they start chewing they out then they are dead.

Bryant Weber
801-598-4655

Tomme Trikosko

May 26, 2013, 4:39:10 PM5/26/13
to brood...@googlegroups.com
Thank you both for the information---very interesting, especially about the VSH behavior.

I will score the exposed pupae and the multi-perforate caps dead until told otherwise.