Edge enhancement could really help

Kevin M. Pfeiffer

Feb 20, 2013, 5:52:12 AM2/20/13
to brood...@googlegroups.com
A little unsharp masking (edge sharpening/enhancement) could really help with some of these. For example, with this blurry image: #000890 2011-07-29.

There are eggs there to be seen, but against a light-colored background, it's a thankless task.

If you didn't want to permanently alter the images, you could add this as a user-selectable in-browser based function (I suspect).

-Kevin

Kevin M. Pfeiffer

Feb 20, 2013, 5:54:45 AM2/20/13
to brood...@googlegroups.com
To follow up...

I just did a test with a screenshot -- the edge sharpening really does help, particularly with recognizing the specular highlights from the flash that one looks for (e.g. on eggs).

Reed Johnson

Feb 20, 2013, 9:45:54 AM2/20/13
to brood...@googlegroups.com
A previous version of Broodmapper, implemented in Java, had image sharpening.  I haven't been able to get it to work well in the JavaScript version, so it has been removed.

The "Invert" function may also be useful to you in locating the eggs.

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 5:54 AM, Kevin M. Pfeiffer <goo...@tiros.net> wrote:
To follow up...

I just did a test with a screenshot -- the edge sharpening really does help, particularly with recognizing the specular highlights from the flash that one looks for (e.g. on eggs).

.
Reed M. Johnson
Assistant Professor
Department of Entomology
The Ohio State University
Ohio Agriculture Research and Development Center
118 Thorne Hall
1680 Madison Avenue
Wooster, OH 44691
(330) 202-3523 (office)
(330) 439-8295 (cell)
(330) 263-3686 (fax)

Kevin M. Pfeiffer

Feb 20, 2013, 4:48:22 PM2/20/13
to brood...@googlegroups.com
Yes, thanks -- the Invert Image function does help.

And because the letter is not underlined on the "key", I'll mention here that it has its own keyboard shortcut: I

-Kevin