variable interpretation

fermarti...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2013, 9:24:15 AM9/18/13
to broadband-p...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rob,

I have been looking at the explanatory notes and dataset for mobile broadband but I have not found the explanation of all variables contained in your dataset.
Hopefully you can help me with the interpretation of the following variables:
-Connection charge: I understand this is what it is paid for each time the client connects to the internet although I though postpaid modality should not include any connection charge?
-Pack cost is the dongle/smartphone device that is included in the service.
-Validity (days) : I expected this should be the same as the contract term but it seems to be different.

Finally it is not clear if the offers are for simcard or usb devices (dongle connection). Is it explained by the varaiable "Included donglee?" It would be useful to be able to differentate between smartphone and laptop types of service, the tariffs should be different.

I would be happy if you can clarify this. And again, thanks for your job! Hope you will collect tariffs for 2014! :)

Regards,
Fernando

Robert Kenny

Sep 18, 2013, 10:26:35 AM9/18/13
to broadband-p...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fernando

Connection charge is the one-off fee charged by some providers when you start a new contract.

Pack cost is the cost of pre-paid tariffs - a one-off amount for a pack that may be limited by time and/or data allowance.

Validity is the time limit on pre-paid tariffs.

Wherever possible we used pure data tariffs, which mostly applied to dongle products, though certainly there are data add-ons for smartphones included too.

Best

Rob

_____________
Robert Kenny
Founder
Communications Chambers
+44 773 858 2227
Twitter: @hoppingrhino (Personal) @commcham (Corporate)

fermarti...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2013, 12:52:45 PM9/18/13
to broadband-p...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rob,
I found a few postpaid plans in Sweden and Switzerland that have validity (days) variable of 3 and 30 days. for the 2013 dataset Is this for any particular reason?
As for the variable dongle, how would I interpret the values. No: means no dongle,hence it is a simcard. Yes: means dongle (maybe also simcard) and Blank means missing?

Apart from this, when the "VAT included?" variable is blank, this mean either the tariff includes the VAT or not?

Thanks a lot in advance,

regards,
Fernando Martinez