Meet up

Dave Suter

Aug 18, 2008, 9:08:46 AM8/18/08
to bristol.jug
Hi all,

I was just wondering whether anyone was interested in having a social
get together, chin wag, couple of beers etc in the near future ?

Dave

Matthew Perry

Aug 18, 2008, 4:50:55 PM8/18/08
to Dave Suter, bristol.jug
I'd be interested in a social meet-up.

Hi all,

Dave

18/08/2008 17:39

Steve

Aug 19, 2008, 3:23:44 AM8/19/08
to bristol.jug
Sounds good. Count me in.

On 18 Aug, 21:50, "Matthew Perry" <matthew.pe...@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:
> I'd be interested in a social meet-up.

Dave Patterson

Aug 19, 2008, 6:04:08 AM8/19/08
to bristol.jug
Hi all,

Good to hear that people are still watching the list. I've been off
the radar this year - we had our first kid in January and I've been a
bit preoccupied since.

I'm up for a meet-up one evening. Mondays and Tuesdays work best for
me.

Dave S - did you have anywhere particular in mind?

Dave Patterson.

Dave Suter

Aug 19, 2008, 10:18:43 AM8/19/08
to bristol.jug
Hi Dave,
Congrats on the first kid Dave. Excellent news. Would somewhere on the
outskirts of Bristol be ok for everyone ? For me its a case of being
able to park close so that I can walk to the door. The arthritis is
none to good these days.

On 19 Aug, 11:04, Dave Patterson

tom.g...@gmail.com

Aug 20, 2008, 8:01:29 AM8/20/08
to bristol.jug
Hi Guys,

Let me know the details and I should be able to pop along.
I'd need to park as well as I'm commuting these days.

Tom

Dave Suter

Aug 21, 2008, 3:28:12 AM8/21/08
to bristol.jug
Hi everyone,
Can anyone suggest a good pub around the Bristol outskirts ?
Unfortunately I am not familiar with the area.

Dave

On Aug 20, 1:01 pm, "tom.gor...@gmail.com" <tom.gor...@gmail.com>

Dave Suter

Aug 25, 2008, 9:28:09 AM8/25/08
to bristol.jug
Hi Everyone,
Anybody have any ideas on a suitable venue for the social ?

Dave

On Aug 20, 1:01 pm, "tom.gor...@gmail.com" <tom.gor...@gmail.com>

Matthew Perry

Aug 27, 2008, 2:26:08 PM8/27/08
to Dave Suter, bristol.jug
How about Channings on Pembroke Rd in Clifton. It is quiet weekdays and
there is plenty of parking.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=channings+bs8&ie=UTF8
&ll=51.48149,-2.606678&spn=0.054949,0.154495&z=13
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
27/08/2008 07:01

Dave Suter

Aug 28, 2008, 7:08:20 AM8/28/08
to bristol.jug
Hi All,

This sounds like an excellent venue to me.

Dave

On 27 Aug, 19:26, "Matthew Perry" <matthew.pe...@blueyonder.co.uk>

Dave Patterson

Sep 2, 2008, 7:10:03 AM9/2/08
to bristol.jug
Lets pick a date. Channings.Tuesday the 9th. 8:00pm.

Does that work for everyone?

Dave Patterson.

Steve

Sep 2, 2008, 7:58:16 AM9/2/08
to bristol.jug
That works for me. See you all there.

Steve

On 2 Sep, 12:10, Dave Patterson

Dave Patterson

Sep 2, 2008, 3:30:37 PM9/2/08
to bristol.jug
Sorry guys. My wifes yoga class starts on the 9th. Can we do Wednesday
the 10th?

Dave Patterson

Matthew Perry

Sep 2, 2008, 5:05:57 PM9/2/08
to Dave Patterson, brist...@googlegroups.com
The 10 th is ok for me.

Sep 3, 2008, 4:02:22 AM9/3/08
to bristol.jug
I can't make the 10th. I'll skip this one unless it gets arranged for
the following week.
Tue/Wed/Thu is normally OK for me.

On 2 Sep, 22:05, "Matthew Perry" <matthew.pe...@blueyonder.co.uk>

Dave Suter

Sep 3, 2008, 6:22:04 AM9/3/08
to bristol.jug
Hi Guys,
I'm ok with any of the dates. Would everyone be ok the following week
so that tom can make it ?

Dave

Dave Patterson

Sep 4, 2008, 9:01:18 AM9/4/08
to bristol.jug
Fine by me: Channings. Weds 17th Sept. 8pm.

Dave Patterson

tom.g...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2008, 1:57:25 PM9/4/08
to bristol.jug
ok with me

On 4 Sep, 14:01, Dave Patterson

Dave Suter

Sep 5, 2008, 5:42:49 AM9/5/08
to bristol.jug
Hi,
ok with me too. I am looking forward to meeting you all and having a
chat.

Dave Suter

Matthew Perry

Sep 5, 2008, 9:02:20 AM9/5/08
to Dave Suter, bristol.jug
Ok with me too. Can I suggest meeting 19:30 to 20:00.

Rgds,

Matthew
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com
05/09/2008 06:57

Dave Suter

Sep 6, 2008, 5:10:01 AM9/6/08
to bristol.jug
That sounds fine. Look forward to having a couple of beers and a chat.

Dave Suter

On 5 Sep, 14:02, "Matthew Perry" <matthew.pe...@blueyonder.co.uk>

Dave Suter

Sep 15, 2008, 12:16:06 PM9/15/08
to bristol.jug
Hi Guys,
Everybody still up for Wednesday ? Just one thing, how will I know you
all ? Easy to spot me, I'm the bearded guy that would be 6'5" if I
was'nt doubled up a bit !!

Dave

Dave Patterson

Sep 16, 2008, 8:42:30 AM9/16/08
to bristol.jug
I'll be there. If you let the bar know you're there to meet someone
they should be able to help.

I'll bring a big java book just to make sure!

See you tomorrow.

Dave Patterson.

Steve

Sep 16, 2008, 5:19:57 PM9/16/08
to bristol.jug
I'll be there for 8ish.

Steve

On 16 Sep, 13:42, Dave Patterson

Dave Patterson

Sep 18, 2008, 5:13:40 PM9/18/08
to bristol.jug
Hi all,

Good to meet a few more faces last night.

Steve - I was going on about an online video tutorial for GIT. Just
found the link: http://www.gitcasts.com/posts/railsconf-git-talk It
goes on for a while but if you're used to SVN then it's easy enough to
follow. Does anyone on the list have experience with Mercurial? Would
be interesting to compare.

Matthew - The Bristol based .net group is http://www.dotnetdevnet.com.
I've not made it to one of their sessions but it sounds like they are
well supported.

Dave - If you want to get into SQL and JDBC stuff then "native" java
databases are an easy starting place. HSQL is probably the lightest of
all: http://hsqldb.org
Apache Derby is another option. http://db.apache.org/derby/quick_start.html

Everyone seemed keen to do it again so I'll post up another social
date for some time in October. Let me know if you've got any
preferences.

Cheers.

Dave Patterson.

Dave Suter

Sep 19, 2008, 10:28:49 AM9/19/08
to bristol.jug
Hi all,

Having a chat with you guys was an absolute godsend. It gave me more
information and things to think of than I could have possible dreamed
of. Excellent. I'm just examining Oracle and sql books etc now. Oracle
seems well documented as does sql. I will have a look at apache derby
as well, thanks Dave. Looks like amazon may take a hit later on once
I've found some good reading material !
I certainly would like to meet up again and have a chat, so count me
it please.

Regards.,

Dave S

On 18 Sep, 22:13, Dave Patterson
<dave.patterson.bris...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Good to meet a few more faces last night.
>
> Steve - I was going on about an online video tutorial for GIT. Just
> found the link:http://www.gitcasts.com/posts/railsconf-git-talkIt
> goes on for a while but if you're used to SVN then it's easy enough to
> follow. Does anyone on the list have experience with Mercurial? Would
> be interesting to compare.
>
> Matthew - The Bristol based .net group ishttp://www.dotnetdevnet.com.
> I've not made it to one of their sessions but it sounds like they are
> well supported.
>
> Dave - If you want to get into SQL and JDBC stuff then "native" java
> databases are an easy starting place. HSQL is probably the lightest of
> all:http://hsqldb.org
> Apache Derby is another option.http://db.apache.org/derby/quick_start.html
>
> read more »

Mike Jones

Sep 19, 2008, 2:41:04 PM9/19/08
to brist...@googlegroups.com
I found the "JDBC API Tutorial and Reference" useful when learning
JDBC a while back ... I think they are on the third edition these
days.

Cheers
Mike

Dave Suter

Sep 20, 2008, 7:59:13 AM9/20/08
to bristol.jug
Many thanks for all your help guys, it's much appreciated.

Regards.,

Dave S