Re: Intro / Steve Vangasse

Message has been deleted

Dave Patterson

Oct 25, 2007, 5:45:16 AM10/25/07
to bristol.jug
Hi Steve - welcome to the list.

You're right - it has been quiet for the last few months. A few of us
did meet up for a drink at the end of August but I've dropped the ball
since then so it's about time we did it again.

Does anyone fancy meeting up on Wedneday 7th November? 8pm Horts on
Broad St.

Dave Patterson.

On Oct 25, 10:16 am, Steve <svanga...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> My name is Steve Vangasse and I'm Java developer based just outside
> Bristol in a village called Congresbury.
>
> After completing a masters degree in Computer Science at Bristol Uni
> in 2000 I worked for a company over the Atlantic in Boston developing
> their Java based calendaring and scheduling application. After a
> couple of years I returned to the UK and set up my own e-commerce
> company (Boardshop.co.uk) that used my own Struts/Tomcat web
> application. This later evolved into JSF.
>
> Hard times meant that the company went under earlier this year and
> since then I've been contracting. I'm currently working on a content
> management system that used EJB3, JBoss Seam and Apache Jackrabbit.
>
> I'm looking forward to making some contacts in the area although the
> list does seem pretty quiet of late. Did the get together ever happen
> (http://groups.google.com/group/bristoljug/browse_thread/thread/
> 515e83639c5fc37b)? Are there plans for any more?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve

tom.g...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2007, 11:17:07 AM10/28/07
to bristol.jug
Hi Dave, Steve,

Yep.. I could make the 7th.

Interesting that someone else in the West is using jboss seam on a
project.
I'd like to here how that is going.

Thanks

Tom

On 25 Oct, 09:45, Dave Patterson

Steve

Oct 29, 2007, 4:50:24 AM10/29/07
to bristol.jug
I should be able to make the 7th too.

My experience with Seam has been pretty positive so far. It allows you
to cut out a lot of unnecessary code when working with EJB3 and JSF
which speeds development up. One problem I do have with JBoss (not
Seam) is the time it takes to start and stop the server during
development. I've been using Netbeans 5.5.1. What IDE do you use Tom?
Any tricks you could share to cut down iteration time?

Cheers,

Steve

tom.g...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2007, 7:21:35 AM10/29/07
to bristol.jug
Use JDK 6 (that speeds things up by x2) and also the new hot bean
deployment feature in seam 2.0
But yes it is still slow ... that's my main problem with it as well.