Bristol 39 Yawl

dcneuro dcneuro.net

Jun 8, 2021, 9:12:32 AM6/8/21
to Bristol Yachts forum on Google
Is there anywhere left to find the mast height of our boats? I have a 1981 39 Yawl configuration. I believe the mast to be 45’ but am not certain. I need to replace the jib halyard which is currently wire braided into rope. I was also wondering if anyone has converted over to all rope. I tried using a 1/2” halyard that I have but it would not fit through the shiv.  If I go to something smaller it may be to risky if I ever reset back from my 110 yankee to my 135 jenny.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Dr. A. R. Scopelliti
Fellow of the American College of Functional Neurology
Fellow of the American Board of Vestibular Rehabilitation
Fellowship Trained in Traumatic Brain Injury & Concussion

“Like” Us On Facebook and Stay Informed About Your Health.

www.dcneuro.net

Join Our E News!

Effective Care For Difficult Problems

**This e-mail and any attachments may contain CONFIDENTIAL information, including PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION. If you are not the intended recipient, any use or disclosure of this information is STRICTLY PROHIBITED; you are requested to delete this e-mail and any attachments,and notify the sender immediately.**

Perry Jones

Jun 8, 2021, 1:37:13 PM6/8/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
It seems that New England Ropes Stay-Set X is recommended for halyards.  This is some sort of “normal” rope.  If your shiv is so small that you are concerned about strength (and I don’t know the strength parameters of Stay-Set X yet), then go with appropriately to your shiv sized dyneema/spectra.  This will have plenty of strength.  I will be switching out my wire/rope main halyard later this summer with either the Stay-Set X or dyneema/spectra depending on the size of my shiv——which will require me to climb the mast again to measure.

As to mast height, I am beginning to think that one of the smart phone apps for measuring will be most useful for measuring mast height, but haven’t tried it yet myself………

Perry

On Jun 8, 2021, at 8:12 AM, dcneuro dcneuro.net <dcn...@dcneuro.net> wrote:

Is there anywhere left to find the mast height of our boats? I have a 1981 39 Yawl configuration. I believe the mast to be 45’ but am not certain. I need to replace the jib halyard which is currently wire braided into rope. I was also wondering if anyone has converted over to all rope. I tried using a 1/2” halyard that I have but it would not fit through the shiv.  If I go to something smaller it may be to risky if I ever reset back from my 110 yankee to my 135 jenny.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Dr. A. R. Scopelliti
Fellow of the American College of Functional Neurology
Fellow of the American Board of Vestibular Rehabilitation
Fellowship Trained in Traumatic Brain Injury & Concussion

“Like” Us On Facebook and Stay Informed About Your Health.

www.dcneuro.net

<Image.jpg>

Join Our E News!

Effective Care For Difficult Problems

**This e-mail and any attachments may contain CONFIDENTIAL information, including PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION. If you are not the intended recipient, any use or disclosure of this information is STRICTLY PROHIBITED; you are requested to delete this e-mail and any attachments,and notify the sender immediately.**

Joe Cooper

Jun 8, 2021, 2:15:46 PM6/8/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
Re sheaves
If wire halyards likely there is a grove in the sheave to accept the wire
In this case check schaefer in upgrading sheaves to cordage only design
If using cordage in wire sheaves  cordage will chafe
In any event wire sheave very likely abraded with ‘meat hooks’ in it, another reason to inspect.
To determine length
Get some 4mm nylon  line, mouse the halyard at the bitter end,  and remove an measure.
‘Mast height’ not really a reliable measure since you are using the halyard on the hypotenuse but the mast deck angle may or not be 90
Depends on forestay and configuration furler length, tack fitting above the deck

Cooper
By iPhone
E&OE

On Jun 8, 2021, at 13:37, Perry Jones <perry....@gmail.com> wrote:

It seems that New England Ropes Stay-Set X is recommended for halyards.  This is some sort of “normal” rope.  If your shiv is so small that you are concerned about strength (and I don’t know the strength parameters of Stay-Set X yet), then go with appropriately to your shiv sized dyneema/spectra.  This will have plenty of strength.  I will be switching out my wire/rope main halyard later this summer with either the Stay-Set X or dyneema/spectra depending on the size of my shiv——which will require me to climb the mast again to measure.

M K

Jun 8, 2021, 3:09:13 PM6/8/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
Not all the Bristol boats of a given size and design have the same mast height.
So, you really need to measure the jib halyard before ordering.
The sheaves may also have been changed, or should be changed if the halyard is changed from a wire/rope to all rope.
The fun never ends...

Marilyn
Bristol 35.5c "Adena"

Matthew Thomson

Jun 8, 2021, 9:27:31 PM6/8/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
The standard main mast length on a B39 is 50’ measured mine personally and I know other B39 sailors that did also. I have never seen or heard of any variation on the main mast, the variations that were used with the B39/40 were the different rigs and combinations of rigs (Sloop, Yawl, Cutter), I wouldn’t be surprised if someone at some point replaced the factory mast with a “tall rig” and I have heard of this on other boats, but never seen or heard of it on a B39/40. The 39/40 is tender until she heals on her desired line. It was designed that way to lengthen the effective waterline and make the boat sail faster. I wouldn’t see any benefit of a taller mast on a B39/40 because of that aspect.  It’s a balance between Sail area hull design and the effect of Center Gravity / Center of Bouyancy.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Matthew Thomson

Jun 8, 2021, 9:34:21 PM6/8/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
And I also did replace my rope/wire halyards with all rope. I had the reel type winches that I replaced with standard rope winches, I think I went 7/16”  but re-profiled the mast head shelves to do that. 7/16”  is tight but I like the grip it provides. I pull my halyards every year to check for wear. 3/8” would fit easier.

Mike L

Jul 26, 2021, 8:49:39 PM7/26/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
I use 7/16 sta-X braid works fine. I would trust all rope over wire rope since wire fatigues.. Check the length with a piece of twine.