Autohelm 4000 Wheel Pilot Clutch Lever ST4000 N011

J. David Bartenfield

Aug 17, 2015, 2:11:27 AM8/17/15
to Bristol group
Friends,

I desperately need this clutch lever for my Raymarine 4000 wheel pilot auto helm.  If anyone can point me in a direction to locate this part I would be very grateful.

Autohelm 4000 Wheel Pilot Clutch Lever ST4000 N011

A. R. Scopelliti

Aug 17, 2015, 8:10:22 AM8/17/15
to Bristol Yachts forum on Google
Call Raymarine. They still support the ST4000.

Sincerely,

Dr. A. R. Scopelliti
Fellow of the American College of Functional Neurology
Fellow of the American Board of Vestibular Rehabilitation
Fellowship Trained in Traumatic Brain Injury & Concussion
NJCCN President

“Like” Us On Facebook and Stay Informed About Your Health.

www.dcneuro.net

Join Our E News!

Effective Care For Difficult Problems

**This e-mail and any attachments may contain CONFIDENTIAL information, including PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION. If you are not the intended recipient, any use or disclosure of this information is STRICTLY PROHIBITED; you are requested to delete this e-mail and any attachments,and notify the sender immediately.**

<ggg.jpg>

bren333

Aug 17, 2015, 9:31:10 AM8/17/15
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, I don't believe Raymarine sells individual parts like that. A dock mate of mine ended up buying an entire new wheel/motor assembly from Defender for app. $550 after a part on his broke.

It might be worth scouring eBay or salvage shops for someone selling parts. The wheels come in two varieties -- one is gray, the other is black. You may need to match yours with the one you're buying.

Good luck.

Jack Brennan
Shanachie, 1974 Bristol 30
Tierra Verde, Fl.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab®|PRO

I desperately need this clutch lever for my Raymarine 4000 wheel pilot auto helm.  If anyone can point me in a direction to locate this part I would be very grateful.

Autohelm 4000 Wheel Pilot Clutch Lever ST4000 N011

Danny Crump

Aug 17, 2015, 8:35:34 PM8/17/15
to bristol...@googlegroups.com

Jack-

Surely Raymarine has stocking dealers the DO sell the parts?????  If so, ask them to recommend the closest to you or send a list of all of them.

-Danny Crump-

image001.jpg

Jack Brennan

Aug 17, 2015, 8:55:47 PM8/17/15
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
No, Raymarine is somewhat infamous for not supporting phased-out products and also for not selling smaller parts.

They are in the business of selling new autopilots and other electronics to a limited audience – sailors – who tend to keep their instruments for a long time. So Raymarine has strategies for making you say, what the hell, I’ll just buy a new one.

If something breaks on your wheel/motor assembly, you’re expected to buy a new assembly at $550 or so rather than $40 for the lever. The 4000 autopilot is discontinued, and it is not supported. So if your autopilot head breaks, it can’t be repaired – buy a new one, Raymarine says.

So it goes.

Avast logo

image001.jpg

J. David Bartenfield

Aug 17, 2015, 9:24:01 PM8/17/15
to bristol...@googlegroups.com

I agree with Jack’s analysis of Raymarine.

I’m going to try making a new lever, maybe get a machine shop to make one of stainless.  It looks like the newer model ST4000 mk2 has a lever that connects a bit differently.  I need the one with the roller pin that secures the lever to the clutch.  The problem I have is the pin sheared and will not, thus far, come out from either side of the lever.

It left me in a hell of a fix for several tense moments when it sheared.  The pin sheared with the clutch engaged making it nearly impossible to turn the wheel.  I literally had to remove the wheel and then put it back on flipped around backwards to regain control at the helm.

David

B34

Blackbird

image001.jpg

Rocky

Aug 18, 2015, 4:45:36 PM8/18/15
to Bristol Yachts
Once again, this guy bought up all the old stock from Raymarine. He is knowledgeable, dependable and very fair priced. He has all the parts you need, lever and connecting shaft and cam. Contact him. http://www.ebay.com/usr/kodiakjack99...

Eric
Delta-T

J. David Bartenfield

Aug 18, 2015, 5:02:09 PM8/18/15
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
I'm waiting for his reply.  I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks!

Rocky

Aug 18, 2015, 6:46:17 PM8/18/15
to Bristol Yachts
Here is the belt model number, you can buy at any belt supply place for $20 AT5/750X10. And here is the parts breakdown on page 16.. You need parts 8,9 and 11.

Eric
Delta-T
st4000.pdf

Jack Brennan

Aug 24, 2015, 5:02:46 PM8/24/15
to bristol...@googlegroups.com

Got an email on the bristolsailboats.org web site from Brian Dittenhofer , who is considering buying a Bristol 47.7 and would greatly appreciate any opinions and advice from owners of the 47.7 and similar models from the latter Bristol era, when the company was building the high-end custom sailboats.

You can message him at bigwav...@aol.com

Jack Brennan

Shanachie, 1974 Bristol 30

Tierra Verde, Fl.

aaron.gin...@gmail.com

May 18, 2016, 8:32:14 PM5/18/16
to Bristol Yachts
I am also  in need of a clutch leaver I found one on line a year ago but it has stripped and I need another one...Has anyone found a solution...or can anyone direct me to a person that makes them...Cheers thanks for the help happy sailing...

Rocky

May 18, 2016, 10:35:53 PM5/18/16
to Bristol Yachts
I have bought part from a guy (4000 guru), on ebay. If he can't help you no one can. He does not list all the parts he has on ebay, but chat with him, he is very helpful and rebuilds them. He bought up the old stock from Raymarine when they stopped servicing them.

Here is his contact info http://www.ebay.com/usr/kodiakjack99?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Eric
Delta-T

J. David Bartenfield

May 20, 2016, 1:57:21 PM5/20/16
to bristol...@googlegroups.com

I have the exact part you need.  It is brand new and includes the sheer pin.  Message me at barte...@gmail.com.

I am upgrading to the EV-100 wheel pilot this weekend.  Hope that goes well.

i3DGear

Oct 23, 2017, 2:29:14 PM10/23/17
to Bristol Yachts
A company called i3DGear.com makes 3D printed replacements for almost all the old Autohelm parts, including remote controls.