BTU's

barte...@gmail.com

Jul 19, 2021, 3:15:38 PM7/19/21
to Bristol group

How many BTU’s do I need for a 34’ Bristol in North Carolina.  I am looking at the Marine Aire 11,000 BTU and think it will be sufficient but there is also the 14,000.  I will need either of these to run on my Honda 2200.  I am replacing an existing 15 year old system but nowhere are the BTU’s identified.

Thanks,

David

Blackbird

1972 Bristol 34’

Chris M

Jul 19, 2021, 8:22:53 PM7/19/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
If this helps:

Calculating the number of BTUs needed to heat an area

In terms of heating and cooling system, the underlying calculation is how much you want to add, or remove from the air inside a building. That might depend on a number of other variables, such as square footage and climate - but the starting point is how many degrees you want to move the inside temperature, and how many BTUs are required to do so. There are calculators available to help homeowners factor the right sized unit, but there are also some rules of thumb that can be followed. For example, a 300 square foot room typically requires 7,000 BTUs to maintain a comfortable temperature, while a 1,000 square foot room requires 18,000 BTUs.

A simple formula to determine your heating needs is:

(desired temperature change) x (cubic feet of space) x .133 = BTUs needed per hour.