Anchor Weight

J. David Bartenfield

Oct 8, 2021, 9:28:24 PM10/8/21
to Bristol group
I have a 34’ Bristol.

How much should a fluke anchor weigh for this vessel?

Rocna?

I have about 20’ of chain then rode.

Any guidance here is appreciated.

David

1972
Bristol 34’
Blackbird

M K

Oct 8, 2021, 10:11:02 PM10/8/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
What type of holding? sand mud, mixed with rocks, boulders?
What are the usual depths and length of rode?  5X or 10X the depth?
Any protection from wind, current or swells?
Average and maximum wind?
How often will you tolerate dragging in the middle of the night?

Marilyn "Adena"

Perry Jones

Oct 9, 2021, 9:38:33 AM10/9/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
Should be on the Rocna website.  Normally they will recommend size of anchor per given displacement.
Perry

Joseph D

Oct 9, 2021, 10:12:12 AM10/9/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
I sailed my B35 for many years with a CQR 35 lb anchor without major issues. All the research seems to confirm that the modern fluke anchors are much superior and this is confirmed by the number of CQR anchors showing up in the consignment shops. Three years ago I switched to a Rocna (vulcan) of comparable weight. It has performed well and does appear to set quickly although I did have it drag on one occasion. I suspect that was due to heavy grass. I feel very comfortable with the weight of these two anchors for my Bristol.

Note however the Rocna does not sit well on the existing Bristol roller. It will self launch unless securely tied down. I have an all chain rode with a windlass so the self launch is a benefit. Neverthelell I added a bail to the existing roller and secure the anchor when it is on the roller.

Joe
Reflection B35

Scott Grover

Oct 9, 2021, 11:35:30 AM10/9/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
Joe - any chance you could share a photo of your windlass?

I have a B 35.5, also with a 35 lb CQR. It is a heavy lift by hand and have considered a windlass install for a while.

The 35 lb does seem to set well into the gravel/mud bottom where we usually go.

-Scott

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bristol-yachts/1497579191.545503.1633788727178%40mail.yahoo.com.

J. David Bartenfield

Oct 9, 2021, 2:13:12 PM10/9/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com

Mostly mud and sand.  15’ to 20’ depth.  200’ rode. 20’ chain.  Moderate wind protection.  Maximum wind 20 knots.  Unusually anchor along the ICW in NC.  Dragging is not tolerated and alarms are set.

M K

Oct 9, 2021, 2:53:00 PM10/9/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David.  Our boat, a Bristol 35.5c, had a Bruce 33 lb when we bought her in 2004.  This anchor worked well in similar depths, wind speeds, bottom sand and mud etc.

Until one memorable afternoon, when a dark cloud front came across the horizon, which rolled us almost 90 degrees, visibility in the rain was less than 5'.  Later in the afternoon, the nearby Coast Guard vessel reported they had seen a peak wind at over 80 mph.  A sailboat anchored near us pegged their wind meter at over 77 mph.  We had the engine running in neutral, then shifted into idle, when we knew we were slowly dragging, just enough to keep from dragging as the wind slowly came down to 25+ mph.

After that episode, we decided to upgrade our anchor to a Manson Supreme 35 lb, for our Bristol 35.5c.   We have not had that 70+ mph winds since, and have not dragged anchor in the more usual 25 to 35 mph brief wind fronts since 2005.  We also increased our rode to 145' chain and another 130' 5/8" twisted nylon for deeper water.  If the bottom marks from the chain indicate the chain was swinging an arc all the way to the anchor, we mark that chart to let out more rode for that anchoring area in future visits.

We also carry a Danforth 1000 as a kedge, and a Fortress 37, which we have rarely deployed, except if gusts over 35 mph are forecast.  Most strong winds are a shift from the Southwest to Northwest.  So if 35+ mph winds are forecast, we leave the Manson Supreme, well dug in to the prevailing southwest breeze, and set the Fortress to the northwest to handle a wind shift.

We agree with you: Dragging is not tolerated and alarms are set.

Fair winds,
Marilyn
"Adena"  Bristol 35.5c

jdavignon

Oct 9, 2021, 3:47:22 PM10/9/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
Attached is a photo of my windlass.  It is a maxwell horizontal electric windlass.  It replaced a manual windlass that died of extreme old age.  I did the installation myself.  The total cost, including all peripherals, was about $3,000.

Joe

Sent from my iPhone