Frozen Sea Cock Issue

J. David Bartenfield

Jul 31, 2021, 12:46:42 AM7/31/21
to Bristol group

I need helpful advice.

I’ve got a frozen sea cock on my AC inlet through hull.  On the boat side of the through hull is the sea cock with a  5/8 hose attached that leads to a ball valve then a strainer then on to the AC.  The hose is about 4” long and has folded and is severely kinked and I need to replace it to get water to the AC.

The through hull is about a foot below the waterline.  If I clip the hose water is going to come in.

I think I need to stop the water at the outside long enough to replace and clamp the hose.  WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO DO THIS?  The through hull inlet is about a 1” opening and I can reach it below the waterline from outside.

I’ve heard a plastic bag over the inlet?

Any advice on how I can safely go about stopping up that through hull from the outside without hauling the boat is appreciated.

David

Bristol 34

Blackbird

J. David Bartenfield, Atty.
Bartenfield Injury Law
903 West Market Street
Greensboro, NC 27401

Jerry Brisson

Jul 31, 2021, 6:05:54 AM7/31/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
David,

I've successfully regreased a 1" seacock while the boat was in the water. Use a foam rubber stopper pushed into the outside of the hull. Picture can be seen here:  https://www.landfallnavigation.com/truplug-original-plug.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6ZOIBhDdARIsAMf8YyEA0hj_2X98yz0tHG1iMn0MkiLyNRlRuJdfPDbRbn6_8aKy39dGnZkaAgYWEALw_wcB
Cut the bulk away and only use the tip. Wave action could pull it out if the entire cone is used. Worked much better than I had expected.

Jerry