B 35.5

Bennett Lavenstein

Jun 5, 2021, 7:40:45 PM6/5/21
to Bristol Yachts
Looking seriously to purchase a B 35.5  deciding between centerboard and   5' 8' keel model,  am interested in any experience with the  keel model on the CheaspeakeI know the   35.5 c has the shallow water advantage but the keel model may be a better boat re maintenace and pointing to windward??   Also many have the main sheet on a traveler over the cabin top but the original design  had the main sheet at the helm,  any thoughts on that and the possibility of converting  from a cabin top traveler to a main sheet at the helm actually Dieter Empacher had that latter arangement, easier to single hand etc. Your thoughts appreciated. Classic and look forward to a purchase. Bennett

Joe Cooper

Jun 5, 2021, 7:49:46 PM6/5/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
Traveler at the helm-- no question re the advantages when sailing solo.
May need to review the location of the cockpit lockers, may extend too far aft, in which case a mainsheet tackle on a post works.
Also reduces the load on the boom and sheet.
CB-Apart from the maintenance issues, a CB will point better than a keel version.

On Sat, Jun 5, 2021 at 7:40 PM Bennett Lavenstein <blav...@gmail.com> wrote:
Looking seriously to purchase a B 35.5  deciding between centerboard and   5' 8' keel model,  am interested in any experience with the  keel model on the CheaspeakeI know the   35.5 c has the shallow water advantage but the keel model may be a better boat re maintenace and pointing to windward??   Also many have the main sheet on a traveler over the cabin top but the original design  had the main sheet at the helm,  any thoughts on that and the possibility of converting  from a cabin top traveler to a main sheet at the helm actually Dieter Empacher had that latter arangement, easier to single hand etc. Your thoughts appreciated. Classic and look forward to a purchase. Bennett

Bennett Lavenstein

Jun 5, 2021, 8:18:13 PM6/5/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
Thank you , BL

Sent from my iPhone

M K

Jun 5, 2021, 9:11:38 PM6/5/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
Our Bristol came with the mainsheet on the pedestal at the helm.  After our first season, we changed the mainsheet to a traveller over the cabin top, and ran the mast halyards, reefing lines, etc. aft to the cockpit on both sides of the companionway.

We also installed a chart plotter on the exterior just to port of the companionway.   That is my favorite location.  I can fiddle with the chart plotter and radar overlays.
I am protected by the bimini, from cold, rain or too much sun, I can easily reach the primary winches and genoa furler line.  The autopilot is on an arm from the pedestal so I can steer.
Also handy to quickly go down into the cabin, and back up with good handholds.

My husband prefers to steer from aft of the pedestal and wheel...

The shallower draft enables tucking in to a lot more sheltered anchorages, and docks.
With the board up she is very sea kindly, especially noted on a broad beam in big seas.  With the board down, she will beat to windward as expected.

We have been very satisfied with our Bristol 35.5c.
Marilyn  "Adena"

Bennett Lavenstein

Jun 5, 2021, 9:53:40 PM6/5/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
Thank you . Such a great site with replies so quickly . Very much appreciated by all . Bennett

Sent from my iPhone

mary lucy

Jun 6, 2021, 6:09:23 PM6/6/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
i have a bristol 32 1979....for sale....fresh water located Lake Ontario, rochester, ny    $28,000

barte...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2021, 7:09:30 PM6/6/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com

mary lucy

Jun 7, 2021, 9:58:16 AM6/7/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
just launched , mast up, boom on, sails on  but the cabin looks a little messy....tools and hardware all over....need to put the cushion on after all is done i will take  pictures....do you have a bristol now and if not what do you like about the Bristol?   vessel info, full keel with a Yamar 15hp diesel

Bennett Lavenstein

Jun 7, 2021, 10:05:12 AM6/7/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
Thank you . Am finalizing a purchase for our use on the Chesapeake .

Sent from my iPhone

mary lucy

Jun 8, 2021, 6:11:28 PM6/8/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
here is a picture that was taking yesterday....
197274495_10220487803968146_5802517423606719285_n.jpg

John Grills

Jun 9, 2021, 11:34:30 AM6/9/21
to Bristol Yachts

is there an Ad up yet? Love this boat. Just passed on a 29.9 because it's such a compromise, IMHO. There's also a stunning Bristol 40 in Annapolis I have to go see.

mary lucy

Jun 9, 2021, 2:10:34 PM6/9/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
i will be taking pictures of the boat very soon,  we bought the bristol 1979  new,,,therefore one owner....I am looking for someone that loves bristol and will care for her like we did....