35.5 Water Heater location

scott jacobitti

Jun 9, 2021, 5:20:38 PM6/9/21
to Bristol Yachts
We purchased a 1978 35.5 this past fall and plan on installing a water heater, but for life of me cant figure out where to put it.  I'm looking for any and all suggestions since there just isn't a lot of space left over...

Perry Jones

Jun 9, 2021, 5:27:52 PM6/9/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
The water heater in my 1981 35.5c is in the starboard lazarette.
Perry

On Jun 9, 2021, at 4:20 PM, scott jacobitti <sjaco...@gmail.com> wrote:

We purchased a 1978 35.5 this past fall and plan on installing a water heater, but for life of me cant figure out where to put it.  I'm looking for any and all suggestions since there just isn't a lot of space left over...

M K

Jun 9, 2021, 7:27:10 PM6/9/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
We removed a small Raritan water heater from the cockpit large locker, and replaced it with an Isotemp Slim 15, 4 gallons, which just fits under the galley sink on the newer Bristol 35.5c boats with the U-shaped galley.  This Slim 15 might fit under the settee just forward of the galley.  The 4 gallon model is sufficient volume, as it has a mixing valve to reduct the outflow to a safe usable temperature.

Removing the water heater from the large locker enabled much better engine access, and room for two very large cylinder shaped fenders, plus smaller fenders, lines etc...and moved the weight forward.

Marilyn  "Adena" Bristol 35.5c

scott jacobitti

Jun 10, 2021, 9:47:07 AM6/10/21
to Bristol Yachts
That's what I have been thinking, but that is also where the compressor is for the fridge.  If I were to move that temporarily, then I think I could get the heater in towards the stern.  That also puts the heater above the engine so I would need an over fill tank too?  Is this what you have?

scott jacobitti

Jun 10, 2021, 9:47:55 AM6/10/21
to Bristol Yachts
We have the old style, Hull #16.  I do like that slim heater. Do you find that you have enough hot water for a shower?

M K

Jun 10, 2021, 12:37:49 PM6/10/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
Plenty of hot water for a shower or showers  The Isotemp Slim units run a much hotter water tank, and then has a mixing valve to bring it down to a safe temperature for domestic use:

All Isotemp tanks come standard with the innovative Isotemp Temperature Control Safety Mixing Valve which protects users from scalding hot water.  Water heated with engine heat exchangers can be heated to 190 degrees or more which can scald those unfamiliar with boat water heaters.  Water will also be heated to 160+ degrees with just the electric heating element alone. By adjusting the valve, the Isotemp thermostat-controlled mixing valve mixes the boat’s water with the hot water to deliver the temperature you want at the faucet. This mixing action also speeds recovery time and extends the volume of hot water you get from a smaller tank.

We located the refrigeration compressor to the unused space outboard of the gimbaled oven. (U shaped galley).
More later.  M

scott jacobitti

Jun 10, 2021, 12:41:51 PM6/10/21
to Bristol Yachts
That sounds like a very cool install....I'd love to see a photo if you have one...

M K

Jun 10, 2021, 4:21:46 PM6/10/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
Isotemp Slim 4 gallon hot water tank was installed in 2004.  It uses circulating Engine hot water and/or electric shore power.  Today I would consider the rectangular 4 gallon model, rather than the cylinder if it will fit and give better access to the seacocks and the depth meter sensor under the floor.  https://www.indelwebastomarine.com/us/products/isotemp-water-heaters/slim/
The old cylinder Raritan in the deep starboard cockpit locker was terribly rusty, blocked good access to the engine room, and enabled storing two large cylinder fenders,and two round fenders in that locker rather than on deck.  In the photo, the long canvas, giant orange and small white fender are on the dock, protecting the dinghy.

The Refrigeration system, also installed in 2004, is from http://www.technauticsinc.com/blue.htm.  Extra large holding plate. Compressor and controls are mounted on a shelf, outboard of the stove. Also installed a 4" 12 volt computer fan with a toggle switch to circulate the air.

Refrigeration Controller is from SensiStat SCADtech. Installed in 2012.
https://www.scadtech.com/sites/default/files/SCADtech%20SensiStat%20Energy%20Saving%20Refrigeration%20Control%20rev%202.05.pdf    This is really a neat controller to improve the control of the Technautics Cool Blue holding plate.  Whenever there is plenty of voltage, when the engine is running, or the sun is shining on our very small 88 watts of solar panel, the Sensistat automatically senses and turns on the refrigeration to bring the holding tank to the maximum.  Since installing the Holding plate and SCAD tech controller, we have not had to run the engine to charge the battery.

When we bought Adena she had an engine mounted refrigeration compressor, which fortunately fell off the engine mount within a few weeks of use.  So, we installed the TechnauticsInc system and have had no problems.  I plug in the system fuse, at the Battery bank, in the spring, and unplug the fuse at haulout in the Fall.

IMG_2594r -Isotemp Slim under galley sink.jpg
Refrigeration 013.jpg
Refrigeration 007r.jpg
IMG_3028.JPG
2014-06-06 004 (Large) fenders for locker and dock.jpg

Robert Birch

Jun 10, 2021, 11:33:28 PM6/10/21
to bristol...@googlegroups.com
For your information - Ebay has a 1978 Bristol 32 footer with a 25hp Westerbeke diesel that has been donated and is now $850 (with fees included) located on the hard in Rock Hall, Maryland.  All the usual equipment plus a wind-vane. Auction ends on Tuesday.  Link here

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 5:20 PM scott jacobitti <sjaco...@gmail.com> wrote:
We purchased a 1978 35.5 this past fall and plan on installing a water heater, but for life of me cant figure out where to put it.  I'm looking for any and all suggestions since there just isn't a lot of space left over...

scott jacobitti

Jun 11, 2021, 1:21:33 PM6/11/21
to Bristol Yachts
Thank you for the photos.  Does the compressor make a lot of noise being located inside the boat?
Message has been deleted

M K

Jun 21, 2021, 7:57:56 PM6/21/21
to Bristol Yachts
No, the compressor is very quiet, can barely hear it from the V-berth.