Lucid Rainforest Plant Key

Jon Henry

Feb 10, 2020, 4:04:11 AM2/10/20
to bris...@googlegroups.com
Colleagues

The Lucid Rainforest Plant Key for PCs by Bill McDonald and Gwen Harden
requires a browser with a plugin for java applets.  This originally
allowed it run on every imaginable platform.  What an excellent product
it was.  New browser versions refuse to run java applets and the key no
longer works on most platforms.  Does anyone know if the key is actually
still in use anywhere?  Does anyone know what the developers are doing
to protect our investment in the key?

Jon

rlau...@optusnet.com.au

Feb 10, 2020, 6:30:22 PM2/10/20
to bris...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jon,

Still working on this.  Trying to get Win10 and IE to allow Java.  Edge won't accept plugins and my version of Firefox doesn't seem to like Java either.  Trying to get what is needed on an exceptions list but my tech skills are limited.

Ros.

Feb 10, 2020, 6:44:03 PM2/10/20
to bris...@googlegroups.com

I tried using it only a week ago (running Windows 10/Firefox then Chrome) and it did not work.

Ta,

Charlie

Jon Henry

Feb 13, 2020, 7:28:18 PM2/13/20
to bris...@googlegroups.com
Colleagues

Updates for the PC edition of the Lucid Rainforest Plant Key are available at https://rainforests.net.au/updates/

The updates must be installed in chronological order starting with the first one that is later than the version you already have.  You download each update zip file, explode it, and copy the resulting files and directories to the root directory of your copy of the USB stick.  The new stuff will overwrite the stuff it is replacing.  I do not need to remind you to use a copy of the original for the doing the updates just in case of interference from computer gremlins.  You already know that, when you take precautions, you are spared from problems.

When you are finished, you will be in possession of updated data plus three new Lucid players:
  • Java plugin version
  • Java standalone version
  • Javascript version
The Java plugin version is similar to what was supplied with the original release of the key.  The new version does not work for me even though the original version does still work for me.  You might have better luck.  The plugin version is not viable in the long term as browser manufacturers are removing the facility to activate plugins.

The Java standalone version is started independently of a web browser and so is more viable than the plugin version.  It must be installed using an installer program as described in the web page install_application_player.htm that is supplied with the updates.  I had awful trouble.  Eventually I managed to get a hold of the actual player program and write my own scripts and launcher to enable it to be started.  I now have the key data, the Java standalone player, and the startup stuff all on the same USB stick.  This USB stick works in different PCs without installing anything extra to the PCs.  It even works in a Raspberry Pi.  You are unlikely to have problems if you are using a platform on which the developers tested their installer.  It is definitely worth persevering.

The Javascript version runs entirely within a browser.  It is a watered down implementation of the other versions that does not include certain tools.  One important tool that is missing is the "Best" tool.

For my money, the Java standalone version is the preferred option.  It includes all features.  It starts independently of a web browser.   It runs the key logic independently.   It uses a web browser to display the species description pages when required.  You get the best of all worlds.  This version starts very much faster than the plugin version.

Hugh Nicholson tells me that the key data are continuing to be updated as required.  This suggests that it is worthwhile dusting off your key and applying the available updates to get a new player so you can keep using the key.

There has been a suggestion that old versions of Java must be deleted when new versions are installed.  It would be worth checking the situation in relation to your particular circumstances.  I have not had a problem upgrading Java.  You will probably not need a new version of Java if you ever had the earlier Java plugin player working on your PC.

Jon