ID please

Maggie Magafakis

Jul 26, 2021, 10:40:53 PM7/26/21
to BRAIN
Hi folks can anyone name this remnant? 1.5 metres tall, thorns along all branches.
Would appreciate your help.
Thanks

Maggie Magafakis
0413973011
20210727_123655.jpg

Marina Novak

Jul 26, 2021, 11:54:13 PM7/26/21
to bris...@googlegroups.com
Maggie,

Better brains than mine will confirm but I think it's Pittosporum multiflorum: https://sown.com.au/pittosporum-multiflorum-pittosporaceae-orange-thorn/

Kind regards,

Marina

Maggie Magafakis

Jul 27, 2021, 1:20:12 AM7/27/21
to BRAIN
Thanks Marina the bush sure matches that description. I've yet to see it in flower.
Cheers
Maggie Magafakis
0413973011

John Moss

Jul 28, 2021, 4:15:07 AM7/28/21
to BRAIN
Hi Maggie & Marina

I think your "remnant" is Bursaria spinosa (Black Thorn) which has clustered leaves and spines along the branchlets like in your photo.
The confusingly similar Pittosporum multiflorum (Orange Thorn) has spines in the leaf axils and generally more rounded finely-toothed leaves. They both have 5-petalled scented white flowers but Pittosporum flowers are tubular whereas Bursaria flowers are more open and, to me, look like those of the exotic Small-leaved Privit.

Cheers,
John Moss