newbie question

smh

Sep 19, 2011, 2:43:14 PM9/19/11
to Brisk Users

Hi,

Does Brisk require root user access to be installed on a machine? In
the Brisk Binary installation section of the page
http://www.datastax.com/docs/0.8/brisk/install_brisk_packages , i see
some steps that require us to create directories in /var/lib which is
offlimits for a non-root user.
A related question is does Brisk ship with a non-root binary
distribution?

Stephen Sugden

Sep 19, 2011, 3:47:29 PM9/19/11
to brisk...@googlegroups.com

I've never done a non root installation, but the wording implies that you should be fine as long as you configure Cassandra to use directories that the Cassandra user can write to.

Just to be clear: the actual Cassandra processes do NOT run as root

Cathy Daw

Sep 19, 2011, 4:08:59 PM9/19/11
to brisk...@googlegroups.com
You can modify the location of the data directories in cassandra.yaml.
Installation from the rpm and deb packages write into directories which may be root protected on your filesystem. If you run into issues, then you can install via the .tar files (which I assume you are doing if you are creating directories).

smh

Sep 19, 2011, 4:07:39 PM9/19/11
to Brisk Users

Thank you Stephen for your quick response.

On Sep 19, 12:47 pm, Stephen Sugden <glur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've never done a non root installation, but the wording implies that you
> should be fine as long as you configure Cassandra to use directories that
> the Cassandra user can write to.
>
> Just to be clear: the actual Cassandra processes do NOT run as root
> On Sep 19, 2011 11:43 AM, "smh" <subrahmanyaha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi,
>
> > Does Brisk require root user access to be installed on a machine? In
> > the Brisk Binary installation section of the page
> >http://www.datastax.com/docs/0.8/brisk/install_brisk_packages, i see

Subrahmanya Harve

Sep 19, 2011, 4:11:48 PM9/19/11
to brisk...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Cathy. I assumed that the /var/lib/cassandra directory was something that Brisk uses specifically. Thanks for clearing it up.