Excellent evening

ja...@ioctl.org

Mar 26, 2013, 7:34:19 PM3/26/13
to brisfun...@googlegroups.com
That was a very interesting evening - trying to find a good introduction
to functional programming is a real challenge, I think, but I hope we made
some progress.

Far be it from me to invoke the oracle, but this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3790889/clojure-lein-read-line-stdin-woes

appears to have some related details to the problem we were seeing with
(read-line) on MacOS; there are some suggestions there.

--
jan grant http://ioctl.org/jan/
"My army boots contain everything not in them." - Russell's pair o' Docs.

ja...@ioctl.org

Mar 26, 2013, 8:12:32 PM3/26/13
On Tue, 26 Mar 2013, ja...@ioctl.org wrote:

> That was a very interesting evening - trying to find a good introduction
> to functional programming is a real challenge, I think, but I hope we made
> some progress.
>
> Far be it from me to invoke the oracle, but this:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3790889/clojure-lein-read-line-stdin-woes
>
> appears to have some related details to the problem we were seeing with
> (read-line) on MacOS; there are some suggestions there.

This, too (the leiningen FAQ):

Q: I don't have access to stdin inside my project.

A: This is a limitation of the JVM's process-handling methods; none of
them expose stdin correctly. This means that functions like read-line will
not work as expected in most contexts, though the repl task necessarily
includes a workaround. You can also use the trampoline task to launch your
project's JVM after Leiningen's has exited rather than launching it as a
subprocess.

--
jan grant http://ioctl.org/jan/
...and then three milkmaids turned up

Matthew Gilliard

Mar 26, 2013, 8:20:31 PM3/26/13
to BrisFunctional

Thanks Jan

This is a significant problem, glad to have found it out this evening rather than on the day - I'm sure we will be able to work around it. But the group's contributions and suggestions were more valuable still, so I'd like to thank you all for your patience and your ideas this evening - we're looking forward to sokobanning a great deal now!

Hopefully we can confirm the date for Marick's talk soon. I'm sure there will be a lot of interest - I can't wait.

Matthew

Mark Godfrey

Mar 27, 2013, 4:15:36 AM3/27/13
to brisfun...@googlegroups.com
I've not had success with (read-line) in Clooj either.

Matthew Gilliard

Mar 27, 2013, 5:12:35 AM3/27/13
to BrisFunctional
No, clooj also seems not to work (https://github.com/arthuredelstein/clooj/issues/90).  Two options I can see:

1/ lein trampoline (this may have fixed it on Arwyn's terminal, but not sure I want to use lein on the day)

2/ (javax.swing.JOptionPane/showInputDialog "Enter your next move")

What a shame that every option seems to be more-or-less broken :(

mg

Joe Littlejohn

Mar 29, 2013, 12:32:53 PM3/29/13
to brisfun...@googlegroups.com
Thom/Matthew: One thing that struck me on Wednesday guys - have you considered using Light Table instead of clooj? It's a nicer interface, it won't have that 'hang up for a minute every so often' bug (although I'm sure it has it's own bugs) and the auto-evaluation might make things easier for beginners. It certainly fits the bill as a syntax-highlighted editor that comes with Clojure bundled.

For a simple sandbox that just works, the playground is probably best:

If you have any problems, I definitely recommend that you delete an existing  ~/.lighttable if you have one.

Matthew Gilliard

Mar 29, 2013, 5:14:24 PM3/29/13
to BrisFunctional
Thanks Joe - I'm playing around with it now.  Do you know if I can get it to read stdin?