introduction

dotcompals

Mar 23, 2010, 11:40:17 PM3/23/10
to Brights India
Hello,
I am Prashanth, a native to Tattamangalam - Palakkad.

http://www.google.com/profiles/dotcompals#about

I am a freelancer web developer / internet marketer and I live and
work in Tattamangalam .

My hobbies include photography and trekking.

Nice to be here.

thanks

Instant Messengers:
Yahoo: dotcompals
Gtalk: dotco...@gmail.com
MSN: dotco...@msn.com
ICQ: 225142752
Skype: dotcompals
AOL: dotcompals
Follow me at http://twitter.com/dotcompals

Phone:
+1 (315) 876 9814 (USA)
+44 (20) 3239 5031 ( UK )
+91 99 46 55 6202 (India)

Anand Nair

Mar 24, 2010, 12:51:11 AM3/24/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
Welcome Prashanth, to the Brights Group...

Regards,

Anand

Muralidharan Enarth Maviton

Mar 24, 2010, 10:02:23 AM3/24/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
I met Prashanth at Palakkad this week end at a small meeting where we discussed about Bt Brinjal and other things.

BTW, his car sports the banner very prominently on the rear window : There's probably no God, Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.    Here, in "God's own country" ;-)

Now why did I not think of doing that!

Prashanth, can we have a photo of  your of  your car window?

Murali

Sashikumar kurup

Mar 24, 2010, 10:13:15 AM3/24/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
Prashanth , welcome. Your car sticker is probably the first in kerala
and a trendsetter, we definitely need a photo of that......sashi

>>> brights-indi...@googlegroups.com<brights-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

>>> .
>>> For more options, visit this group at
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/brights-india?hl=en-GB.
>>>

>> --

>> brights-indi...@googlegroups.com<brights-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

v i j a y a n . a . p

Mar 25, 2010, 12:49:58 AM3/25/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
Daer Shashi,

                   PRobably first in Kerala? YOu will not be surprised if somebody tells you about another car with the same sticker..RIght ?..or you anticipate that possibility too !

THen, how does the sticker" probabaly no God" differ from your statement on sticker ?

Thank you

--
           d r   v i j a y a n     a p
           MD DcH MD DipNB(ped)

   BE SMALL & REMAIN VERY SMALL

Sashikumar kurup

Mar 25, 2010, 3:24:28 AM3/25/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
dear Vijayan, the meaning is in the statement itself. Considering the
huge number of cars and the easy availability of stickers in Kerala ,
one cannot discount the possibility of there being other cars so
adorned. But from a sample of thousands of cars seen over a long
period , i cannot recollect seeing such a sticker. Extrapolating that
sample finding to a larger scale justifies an assumption of reduced
probability though not of impossibility. Of course even that
assumption is not valid if the extrapolation was done to a different
culture and society. What is the confusion ?!........sashi

>> <brights-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<brights-india%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

>> <brights-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<brights-india%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

>> > --
>> >

>> --
>>

> --

> d r v i j a y a n a p
> MD DcH MD DipNB(ped)
> Consultant Pediatrician
>
> BE SMALL & REMAIN VERY SMALL

Anand Nair

Mar 25, 2010, 3:25:08 AM3/25/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
Vijayan,

There is a very small difference & and also a significant similarity!

Shashi feels this is probably the first such sticker on a car in Kerala. What is certain is that this is the first one that has been brought to the notice of this group (interested in such things). Merely coming across another car with such sticker (some time later) will not necessarily falsify Shashi's guess. In fact, I would not be surprised if the meme spreads, and we do get to see more such stickers in the coming days.

While there is a very small probability that such a sticker had been put in some other car within Kerala, before Prashanth's own initiative, the fact is that his is among the first of such stickers in the State, and perhaps in India.

The low probability that there could be a God; and the low probability that Prasanth's is not among the first such stickers in Kerala are both premises based on currently available evidence -- and hence both reasonable! Both these premises would be readily abandoned, if so required based on evidence that may surface in the future...

Anand

v i j a y a n . a . p

Mar 25, 2010, 4:00:25 AM3/25/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
Dear Anad Nair,

To me  similarity is negligible and difference is more.

         At present a significant proportion of people in the world  do not care 'the belief in God' and consider it as another superstition. They will not be interested to exhibit a sticker which proclaims'probably there is no God..so enjoy today..which  entertain a remote possibility of the existence of God"

To them Shashi's statement 'probably the first car in kerala' is an highly logical statement.

Thank you

Sashikumar kurup

Mar 25, 2010, 4:53:31 AM3/25/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
Dear Vijayan , the statement on the sticker is more in the nature of a
suggestion than an invitation to a debate. Hence the language is
modified accordingly. It is not to be literally assumed that those
carrying the sticker harbour a remote possibility of the existence of
god , any more than it would be correct to assume that those carrying
the sticker are all enjoying life, because the sticker says
so.......sashi

On 25/03/2010, v i j a y a n . a . p <drvija...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Anad Nair,
>
> To me similarity is negligible and difference is more.
>
> At present a significant proportion of people in the world do not
> care 'the belief in God' and consider it as another superstition. They will
> not be interested to exhibit a sticker which proclaims'probably there is no
> God..so enjoy today..which entertain a remote possibility of the existence
> of God"
>
> To them Shashi's statement 'probably the first car in kerala' is an highly
> logical statement.
>
> Thank you
>
> On 3/25/10, Anand Nair <asn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Vijayan,
>>

>> There is a very small difference & and also a significant similarity!
>>

>> Shashi feels this is *probably* the first such sticker on a car in Kerala.

>> What is certain is that this is the first one that has been brought to the
>> notice of this group (interested in such things). Merely coming across

>> another car with such sticker (some time later) will not *necessarily*

>> falsify Shashi's
>> guess. In fact, I would not be surprised if the meme spreads, and we do
>> get
>> to see more such stickers in the coming days.
>>

>> While there is a very small probability that such a sticker had been put
>> in
>> some other car within Kerala, before Prashanth's own initiative, the fact
>> is
>> that his is among the first of such stickers in the State, and perhaps in
>> India.
>>

>> The *low probability that there could be a God;* and *the low probability
>> that Prasanth's is not among the first such stickers in Kerala* are both

>> premises based on currently available evidence -- and hence both
>> reasonable!
>> Both these premises would be readily abandoned, if so required based on
>> evidence that may surface in the future...
>>

>> Anand
>>

>> http://WatchMyHealth.com/ <http://watchmyhealth.com/>

>>> d r v i j a y a n a p
>>> MD DcH MD DipNB(ped)
>>> Consultant Pediatrician
>>>
>>> BE SMALL & REMAIN VERY SMALL
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --

v i j a y a n . a . p

Mar 25, 2010, 5:16:42 AM3/25/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
Dear Shashi,

                  I dont think we would be able to enjoy  sleep,if  a stranger comes & tell us...  in this house probably there is no Cobra (or Ghost)..so enjoy the night alone!

Thank you

Sashikumar kurup

Mar 25, 2010, 6:38:44 AM3/25/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
Vijayan , it might be understood as ' there is probably no god to
prevent you from enjoying life ' . People don't get their education
from car stickers, so it is meant to express one 's view more than
provide accurate information. Saying that there is no god is a
statement that conveys a specific information and a presumption to
educate. The ghost / cobra analogy will work only with somebody who is
afraid of the two, and might reassure them to some extent. It makes no
difference to those who are not afraid of them. So how does it make
things worse to say that ?......sashi

>> <brights-india%252Buns...@googlegroups.com<brights-india%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com>

>> <brights-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<brights-india%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

>> <brights-india%252Buns...@googlegroups.com<brights-india%25252Bun...@googlegroups.com>

>> <brights-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<brights-india%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

>> <brights-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<brights-india%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

archana soman

Mar 25, 2010, 7:58:02 AM3/25/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
Dictionary meaning of probably: "almost certainly, as far as one can see or tell".
The English and their use of language! You will remember that was a slogan painted on buses in London as part of an atheist campaign.

Mar 25, 2010, 8:44:45 AM3/25/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com

Hello ,
The inspiration for the sticker found on my car promoting my website RationalThoughts.Org is http://www.atheistbus.org.uk

There's probably no God, Now stop worrying and enjoy your life

Probably: with considerable certainty; without much doubt;

Please see the picture of the car here at my mobile photo blog.

Thank you and nice to be a part of this group.

Prashanth Randadath

Chat Google Talk: dotcompals Skype: dotcompals MSN: dotcompals AIM: dotcompals Google Wave: dotcompals icq: dotcompals Y! messenger: dotcompals
Contact Me LinkedinFacebookFlickrTwitterGoogleYoutubePicasaGoogle Reader

Instant Messengers:
Yahoo: dotcompals
Gtalk: dotco...@gmail.com
MSN: dotco...@msn.com
ICQ:        225142752
Skype:      dotcompals
AOL:   dotcompals
Follow me at http://twitter.com/dotcompals

Phone:
+1 (315) 876 9814  (USA)
+44 (20) 3239 5031 ( UK )
+91 99 46 55 6202 (India)

Akshay S Dinesh (ASD of India)

Mar 25, 2010, 8:50:33 AM3/25/10
to Brights India
Innovative idea! Is there other such ways to do this. please share

On 25 Mar, 17:44, dotcompals <dotcomp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello ,
> The inspiration for the sticker found on my car promoting my website
> RationalThoughts.Org ishttp://www.atheistbus.org.uk
>

> *There's probably no God, Now stop worrying and enjoy your life*
>

> *Probably*: with considerable certainty; without much doubt;

> Please see the picture of the car here at my mobile photo blog.

> <http://www.mobileclicks.org/2010/03/car-sticker.html>

> Thank you and nice to be a part of this group.
>
> Prashanth Randadath
>

>  Chat [image: Google Talk:] dotcompals [image: Skype:] dotcompals [image:
> MSN:] dotcompals [image: AIM:] dotcompals [image: Google Wave:]
> dotcompals [image:
> icq:] dotcompals [image: Y! messenger:] dotcompals

> Contact Me [image: Linkedin] <http://www.linkedin.com/in/dotcompals>[image:
> Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/dotcompals>[image:
> Flickr]<http://flickr.com/photos/dotcompals>[image:
> Twitter] <http://twitter.com/dotcompals>[image:
> Google]<http://www.google.com/profiles/dotcompals>[image:
> Youtube] <http://www.youtube.com/user/dotcompals>[image:
> Picasa]<http://picasaweb.google.com/dotcompals>[image:
> Google Reader] <http://www.google.com/reader/shared/dotcompals>

> World-Click Blog Commonsense things you can do for your

> website<http://world-click.com/blog/2010/02/commonsense-things-you-can-do-for...>
>
> Instant Messengers:
> Yahoo: dotcompals
> Gtalk: dotcomp...@gmail.com
> MSN: dotcomp...@msn.com

> ICQ:        225142752
> Skype:      dotcompals
> AOL:   dotcompals

> Follow me athttp://twitter.com/dotcompals

> Phone:
> +1 (315) 876 9814  (USA)
> +44 (20) 3239 5031 ( UK )
> +91 99 46 55 6202 (India)
>

> On 25 March 2010 17:28, archana soman <archana_so...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Dictionary meaning of probably: "almost certainly, as far as one can see
> > or tell".
> > The English and their use of language! You will remember that was a slogan
> > painted on buses in London as part of an atheist campaign.

> > ------------------------------

Anand Nair

Mar 25, 2010, 9:14:33 AM3/25/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
Well, belief in God would appear to be the mother of all superstitions -- and not merely "another superstition"!

Denial of the existence of God can still cost a person his life (or health or job or respectability), in many parts of the world. I do not think there is any country in the world where ridiculing of the other superstitions (such as astrology, telepathy, telekinesis, ghosts etc.) is covered under blasphemy laws!!

I think it is important that more and more people publicly display disbelief in God -- not for the purpose of "converting" or "brow beating" the believers, but to convey that this is an alternate belief system held by a lot of people who are as intelligent, respectable, happy, successful and ethically upright as any other...

Anand

Anand Nair

Mar 25, 2010, 9:19:47 AM3/25/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
I may be worried about the Cobra part -- but not about the Ghost bit. Because of huge difference in the quantum of improbability!

Anand

Muralidharan Enarth Maviton

Mar 25, 2010, 12:57:51 PM3/25/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
Will modifying the slogan to "THERE IS NO EVIDENCE THAT  GOD EXISTS,  NOW STOP WORRYING" make it more acceptable to Brights and better explain our stand to those on the fence ?

Murali

Akshay S Dinesh (ASD of India)

Mar 25, 2010, 1:06:14 PM3/25/10
to Brights India
That would have been technically correct, but practically dumb.

On 25 Mar, 21:57, Muralidharan Enarth Maviton <emmur...@gmail.com>

Muralidharan Enarth Maviton

Mar 25, 2010, 1:10:15 PM3/25/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
You mean they would start worrying when they see that there is no God?
Murali

Akshay S Dinesh (ASD of India)

Mar 25, 2010, 1:20:27 PM3/25/10
to Brights India
I mean:
The question they're worrying about is whether there is God or not.
And those who are worrying are worrying because they are asking the
question. (they are trying to find an answer = they are worrying)
And we are supposed to be asking them to stop worrying, to chill up
and be happy.
So we mustn't be rationalizing an answer, we're just imposing an
answer (because rationalizing = worrying)
If we mean them to stop worrying, we must specify an answer, and not
the reason. (Because no reason can lead them to an answer)

(And there is something funny about that quote which I'm being unable
to explain in words)

On 25 Mar, 22:10, Muralidharan Enarth Maviton <emmur...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> You mean they would start worrying when they see that there is no God?
> Murali
>

> On 25 March 2010 22:36, Akshay S Dinesh (ASD of India) <asdofin...@gmail.com

> > wrote:
> > That would have been technically correct, but practically dumb.
>
> > On 25 Mar, 21:57, Muralidharan Enarth Maviton <emmur...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Will modifying the slogan to "THERE IS NO EVIDENCE THAT  GOD EXISTS,  NOW
> > > STOP WORRYING" make it more acceptable to Brights and better explain our
> > > stand to those on the fence ?
>
> > > Murali
>
> > --

> > brights-indi...@googlegroups.com<brights-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Anand Nair

Mar 25, 2010, 2:12:56 PM3/25/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
I too am a bit worried about the "stop worrying" and  "start living" parts in the Dawkins' sticker! At least in my case, I am not offering any solution to people with worries. I would leave that to the professionals...

My own preferences are as under:-

"Why do I say there is most probably no God? Because every thing we do know about nature suggests this"

"I can be happy and ethical -- and I don't need a God for this"

"There are mysteries in the universe yet to be unraveled by science -- but not one of the kind that needs a God as the explanation"

Sashikumar kurup

Mar 25, 2010, 2:24:34 PM3/25/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
There is probably no god- is a correctly polite way of communicating a
view to those who do not agree. This has to be the first step (in the
reverse direction) for believers. Certainly (of the existence of god )
to probably to possibly to unlikely to impossible. The slogan seems to
have been coined by some very rational people.....sashi

> brights-indi...@googlegroups.com.

Muralidharan Enarth Maviton

Mar 25, 2010, 9:35:31 PM3/25/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com

I think we all might be interpreting the words in the slogan "There's probably no God, Now stop worrying and enjoy your life"  in subtly different ways.

I thought it was designed to encourage rational thought and it tries to do that in a rather polite manner with even a tinge of humor added to it. It pokes fun at the fact that a lot of people find refuge in God while seeking solace from worries of life. It could also be taken as a message, to those guilt ridden souls who cannot help but commit a sin every waking hour, that there is probably no God to punish you and you might now start enjoying life.

Then, of course, it could also mean: worrying = rationalization, as Akshay put it. That way, the slogan is addressed to the few who have the inclination to question their own beliefs. They do not benefit from the message  since they have already addressed the question of the probability of the existence of God and the slogan offers nothing new.

When I   modified the slogan to " There is no evidence that God exists......."  the expectation was  that it would help remove the ambiguity.  One  could chose between, the method of science that demands evidence ( and none have been forthcoming  to date ) and  the dilemma of  being  torn between deep-seated beliefs, need for spiritual crutches and the doubts that creep  in during their rationalization.

Murali

Sashikumar kurup

Mar 26, 2010, 2:24:00 AM3/26/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
Genuine believers are wondering creatures, and it would be wiser to
make them wonder ' is there probably no god, and there are perfectly
normal people who think so ? ' It is in line with the well worn
delusional channel of their thinking processes on god. Saying 'there
is no evidence ' would immediately bring to their minds the numerous
'evidences ' they have been tanked up with by their religious advisors
and the slogan would get clean thrown out prima facie, without
inducing further thought. Since the slogan is displayed to the public
, the intention obviously is not to preach to the converted, like us
here ( pardon the use of religious phraseology ! ).......sashi

On 26/03/2010, Muralidharan Enarth Maviton <emmu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> * *
>
> I think we all might be interpreting the words in the slogan "*There's
> probably no God, Now stop worrying and enjoy your life" * in subtly

>> <brights-india%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<brights-india%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

Anand Nair

Mar 26, 2010, 3:07:42 AM3/26/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
Shashi,

I agree. In fact, absence of evidence is the primary reason for disbelief in God. The "improbability" itself emerges ONLY from absence of evidence. It would be better to invoke "evidence" rather than "probability". After all, the latter is a difficult concept for most people to comprehend any way.

shyma kollambalath

Mar 26, 2010, 10:15:27 AM3/26/10
to bright...@googlegroups.com
As Archana has said, that was a slogan painted on buses in London & there were eight hundred buses in all which exhibited that slogan. It signified a change in attitude of the people in  London.

   Prasanth has chosen this way to proclaim his disbelief. Since most people hesitate to exhibit publicly their disbelief, it's really a fine attempt made by Prasanth....Let's hope that his initiative may arouse atleast a curiosity in the believers of God.....

Prashanth Randadath

Jul 6, 2014, 10:30:55 AM7/6/14
to bright...@googlegroups.com

Akshay S Dinesh

Jul 27, 2014, 11:23:50 AM7/27/14
to bright...@googlegroups.com
LoL. Please stick no more bills on that rear.

viswanathan chathoth

Jul 27, 2014, 12:59:18 PM7/27/14
to Brights India
Wondering a about a time when Prashanth Randadath to me  was just a name on the screen  !
So much changed in four years ..
:)

dotcompals

Jul 27, 2014, 2:12:07 PM7/27/14