[BNM] [OT] Question about Windows in Roundhill Conservation Area

Harry Brignull

Feb 24, 2011, 11:49:18 AM2/24/11
to Brighton New Media
Very naughty of me to ask about this on BNM since it's massively OT but...

Has anyone had any experience with changing windows / loft conversions etc
in the round hill area? Or in any brighton conservation area for that
matter?

Wondering what the required process is for this / what is and is not
allowed. Told you it was OT.

ta

Harry

BNM powered by Wessex Networks:
http://www.wessexnetworks.com

Richard Grimwood

Feb 25, 2011, 4:51:27 AM2/25/11
to Brighton New Media
Normally you won't get to change the front apperance of the building
except by introduction of necessary Velux window in front roof. Even
if you have exisitng UPVC or Aluminium Double glazying the council
would like any replacement to be a wooden sash window if that was the
original design. The rear of the building is normally more flexible
and a single Dormer window is usually allowed but of restricted width.

Talking to a local planning officer is always the right thing to do.
Don't be tempted to start any project or even design in a conservation
area whithout doing that as you could end up with a sizeable
re-instament bill, very unhappy neighbours who will grass you up and a
property you can't sell.

My experience is from asking council about replacement of front
windows in 1995 and successfully gettting planning permission for a
loft conversion in the West Hill area. Also the conversion of two
flats in to one duplex appartment even though there were no external
changes to building. I have been watching a 5 year battle bettween
neighbours in our street and some muppet who thought he could build
another house rather than just the extension that was approved.

The council works for you... but it will work for everyone else if you
try to circumvent it.

--
Best Regards
Richard Grimwood - Network Manager

ric...@solwisetelephony.co.uk
Sales/Accounts 08450 060800       Fax 08718 720866
Direct Line  02071 602050           SMS 07834 516610

Steve Purkiss

Feb 25, 2011, 5:05:02 AM2/25/11
to Brighton New Media

Harry Brignull

Feb 28, 2011, 7:50:30 AM2/28/11
to Brighton New Media
Thanks Steve, just what I needed! (and thanks Tudor and Richard who emailed
me off list)

Steve Purkiss

Feb 28, 2011, 8:06:07 AM2/28/11
to Harry Brignull, Brighton New Media
On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 12:50 PM, Harry Brignull <ha...@brignull.com> wrote:
> Thanks Steve, just what I needed! (and thanks Tudor and Richard who emailed
> me off list)

Google's great, innit?!

;)