For schools: recommendations of amazing iPad apps to revolutionize teaching?

Adam Martin

Nov 30, 2015, 12:10:57 PM11/30/15
to brighton-iph...@googlegroups.com
As a teacher, I'm seeing a lot of schools that have 1 iPad per child, but are using them very poorly or not at all.

The "best" recommendations are often: Evernote, YouTube, Camera.

This is a huge letdown. Teachers don't know what's out there; teachers *want* to completely change their lessons, change their classroom, turn Victorian teaching on its head - but lack the time to trawl through the App Store to find amazing apps.

What amazing apps could teachers use today, or build lessons around?

Off the top of my head, I cited a few here with video clips: http://ishallteach.org/index.php/2015/11/28/how-to-use-ipads-well-in-the-secondary-k-12-classroom-part-1/

Please share the apps you think are most amazing, most take advantage of the iPad. Generally speaking: if it's an awesome app, it's teaching something (or many somethings).

(Also please forward/post wherever else is appropriate - the more recommendations the better)

Adam

Paul Ledger

Nov 30, 2015, 12:45:14 PM11/30/15
to brighton-iphone-creators
This is great timing - I've been working on something that I hope you will find useful for the last couple of years - www.schoolsbuddy.com

SchoolsBuddy is a great tool for communication between staff, pupils and parents and helps organise co curricular activities and sport - plus wider uses.

Have a look at the video at www.schoolsbuddy.com/video for the 3 minute video that we've created. Our sales guy is David - da...@subsbuddy.com and I know he'd love to chat to you and give you a product demo

For many schools, they love mobile registers at after schools clubs which has massively assisted with safeguarding of pupils.

Paul
Mobile App Development

Jay Caines-Gooby

Nov 30, 2015, 3:25:51 PM11/30/15
to brighton-iph...@googlegroups.com
We've seen them used in music lessons in place of tuned percussion
(glockenspiels, etc) - if the school hasn't got enough physical
instruments, then a tablet makes a good replacement; loads of good
free apps that mimic these kind of instruments

On 30 November 2015 at 17:10, Adam Martin <adam.m....@gmail.com> wrote:
> --

Jay Caines-Gooby
http://jay.gooby.org
j...@gooby.org
+44 (0)7956 182625
twitter, skype & aim: jaygooby
gtalk: jayg...@gmail.com

Stephen Watson

Dec 1, 2015, 11:43:21 AM12/1/15
to Brighton iPhone Creators
I’d recommend all of these that I have:

forScore [ forscoreapp.com]  - I sing in a choir and it handles all my scores, synchronising music with page turns, keeps concert playlists allows annotations and much, much more. Everyone else at choir has ever growing and heavier folders of all their scores and lyrics whilst my iPad gets no heavier! :-)

Workflow [ workflow.is ] - to show them “drag and drop programming”

Shakespeare [ playshakespeare.com ] - the entire works including sonnets and more for free!

duolingo [ duolingo.com ] - free, graded, personally-paced language learning

frax [ fract.al ] - the visual beauty of mathematics - fractals and mandlebrot sets

scape [ generativemusic.com ] - Brian Eno’s amazing “generative music” app

( My app - Dicewords [ blacktablet.co.uk ] - to exercise their spelling and vocabulary. Cheeky monkey!! )

Cheers,

Stephen