422 Unprocessable Entity when Checking In

iamnoah

Aug 26, 2010, 6:04:05 PM8/26/10
to Brightkite API
I'm getting 422 Unprocessable Entity errors when trying to create a
check-in.

I'm POSTing to:
http://brightkite.com/places/0975d8fa372a8f1be2d870ac8b9a607b/checkins.json

All other API calls work just fine (loading the user's checkin
history, querying for locations, etc.).

I get that error POSTing with no parameters and when sending
object[body] and object[share_with].

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

challgren

Aug 26, 2010, 6:09:33 PM8/26/10
to Brightkite API
Read http://api.brightkite.com/objects.html the old /places/<place id>
is probally unsupported

On Aug 26, 5:04 pm, iamnoah <iamn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm getting 422 Unprocessable Entity errors when trying to create a
> check-in.
>
> I'm POSTing to:http://brightkite.com/places/0975d8fa372a8f1be2d870ac8b9a607b/checkin...

noah

Aug 26, 2010, 6:12:56 PM8/26/10
to brightk...@googlegroups.com
Ah. It would be nice if someone would remove the link to the old documentation here: http://groups.google.com/group/brightkite-api

LJHarb

Aug 26, 2010, 6:37:59 PM8/26/10
to Brightkite API
Hi Noah -

Thanks for pointing that out.

I've updated the Google Groups page to reflect that the API
documentation is now hosted only at http://api.brightkite.com/

- Jordan

On Aug 26, 3:12 pm, noah <iamn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah. It would be nice if someone would remove the link to the old
> documentation here:http://groups.google.com/group/brightkite-api
>

> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 5:09 PM, challgren <challg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Readhttp://api.brightkite.com/objects.htmlthe old /places/<place id>
> > is probally unsupported
>
> > On Aug 26, 5:04 pm, iamnoah <iamn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm getting 422 Unprocessable Entity errors when trying to create a
> > > check-in.
>
> > > I'm POSTing to:
> >http://brightkite.com/places/0975d8fa372a8f1be2d870ac8b9a607b/checkin...
>
> > > All other API calls work just fine (loading the user's checkin
> > > history, querying for locations, etc.).
>
> > > I get that error POSTing with no parameters and when sending
> > > object[body] and object[share_with].
>
> > > Any idea what I might be doing wrong?
>
> > --
> > .

challgren

Aug 26, 2010, 6:40:17 PM8/26/10
to Brightkite API
Its been like this for almost a year now. Please don't forget about
your 3rd party devs

On Aug 26, 5:37 pm, LJHarb <jor...@brightkite.com> wrote:
> Hi Noah -
>
> Thanks for pointing that out.
>
> I've updated the Google Groups page to reflect that the API
> documentation is now hosted only athttp://api.brightkite.com/
>
> - Jordan
>
> On Aug 26, 3:12 pm, noah <iamn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Ah. It would be nice if someone would remove the link to the old
> > documentation here:http://groups.google.com/group/brightkite-api
>
> > On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 5:09 PM, challgren <challg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Readhttp://api.brightkite.com/objects.htmltheold /places/<place id>
Message has been deleted

chal...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2010, 6:47:12 PM8/26/10
to brightk...@googlegroups.com
How to post a tip has been not documented since its release a couple months ago
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

None of the developers who were here a year ago are here now - please
feel free to let me know if there's anything lacking so I know that I
need to fix it.

On Aug 26, 3:40 pm, challgren <challg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Its been like this for almost a year now. Please don't forget about
> your 3rd party devs
>
> On Aug 26, 5:37 pm, LJHarb <jor...@brightkite.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi Noah -
>
> > Thanks for pointing that out.
>
> > I've updated the Google Groups page to reflect that the API
> > documentation is now hosted only athttp://api.brightkite.com/
>
> > - Jordan
>
> > On Aug 26, 3:12 pm, noah <iamn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Ah. It would be nice if someone would remove the link to the old
> > > documentation here:http://groups.google.com/group/brightkite-api

LJHarb

Aug 26, 2010, 6:48:43 PM8/26/10
to Brightkite API
That is an intentional omission. Once we decide that the API will no
longer change, we will document it - but it would be a disservice to
third parties if we documented API functions before they were stable.

chal...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2010, 6:50:37 PM8/26/10
to brightk...@googlegroups.com
While releasing unstable features to the community seems like an all around bad idea! It would seem more ideal to maybe setup a dev server and test features there before releasing them live.

LJHarb

Aug 26, 2010, 6:53:09 PM8/26/10
to Brightkite API
By "stable" I meant "unchanging". Posting tips works just fine and has
been tested thoroughly.

Once something is publicly documented in an API, it can not change.
Since we don't currently have API versioning, we have to release
features in our internal tools before we release them to the API.
That's not going to change any time soon.

Rest assured, once something is documented, we will support it - until
then, it's not meant for third parties - my apologies for the
inconvenience.