How would i annotate an apartment

Georg

Jul 23, 2020, 7:02:48 AM7/23/20
to Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)

Hi all,

i am pretty new to Brick and search a while but was not finding a satisfying answer:
How would one annotate an apartment?

I thought about using a special type of zone.

Any examples recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks a lot, Georg

Gabe Fierro

Jul 24, 2020, 1:42:04 PM7/24/20
to Georg, Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
Hi Georg:

I've put together a simple example for you: https://gist.github.com/gtfierro/aa5874ab049b89a3387d4fc559491beb It includes sample Python code (using rdflib and brickschema packages) as well as a generated Turtle file. I modeled the Apartment as a brick:Space, though an argument could also be made for it being a brick:Site if you would like to model it as distinct from the building that it is located in. I added a couple rooms and HVAC/Lighting zones to the model as well. Let me know if this answers your question! I'm happy to add some more examples of assets/points/etc to the model if you have something specific in mind.

Best,
Gabe

Georg Hildebrand

Jul 25, 2020, 1:25:09 AM7/25/20
to gtfi...@cs.berkeley.edu, Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
This is great, thanks Gabe. I will try it out.
Regards

Georg

jonas...@gmail.com

May 20, 2021, 10:21:51 AM5/20/21

On Friday, July 24, 2020 at 7:42:04 PM UTC+2 gt.f...@berkeley.edu wrote:
Hi Georg:

I've put together a simple example for you: https://gist.github.com/gtfierro/aa5874ab049b89a3387d4fc559491beb It includes sample Python code (using rdflib and brickschema packages) as well as a generated Turtle file. I modeled the Apartment as a brick:Space, though an argument could also be made for it being a brick:Site if you would like to model it as distinct from the building that it is located in. I added a couple rooms and HVAC/Lighting zones to the model as well. Let me know if this answers your question! I'm happy to add some more examples of assets/points/etc to the model if you have something specific in mind.

In the example script above brick is extened using the brick namespace. Is this the recommended practice? Are there any general guidelines on how to extend brick when it comes to namespaces, identifiers, and owl/rdfs mechanisms?

BR,
   Jonas

Gabe Fierro

May 20, 2021, 2:09:34 PM5/20/21
to jonas...@gmail.com, Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
Hi Jonas:

Good catch! I was a little lazy in the example :). This is not generally good practice

I've written up some fresh docs to explain some good practices for defining Brick extensions. Wherever possible, extensions should be offered for inclusion in the Brick ontology so that the community can reduce fragmentation. However, we recognize that sometimes it makes sense to develop things internally. Please let me know if the documentation here (https://docs.brickschema.org/extra/extending.html) answers your questions!

Best,
Gabe