SQL workshop?

Ben B

May 18, 2022, 9:00:05 AM5/18/22
to Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
Hello,

Sort of a newbie in the developer world, but have a background in OT setup for HVAC controls contracting field technician work.

Would anyone be able to suggest a data base to use and to learn in the long haul? Does this community gravitate to SQL or noSQL?

Are there workshops out there that exist for how to implement Brick meta data to stand along databases? For example I am using IoT to dump time series data from the building automation HVAC system into a postgres database but unsure how to implement the meta data tagging.

Thanks!
Ben

Gabe Fierro

May 25, 2022, 12:28:09 PM5/25/22
to Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
Hi Ben:

It depends on if you are looking for a database for Brick metadata, timeseries data, or a combination of the two. We have some initial documentation written up here to explore some of the options, and this repo contains a video tutorial and code for how to use Brick metadata alongside TimescaleDB (though this will honestly generalize to many other kinds of timeseries stores). Usually what we do is use an external graph database (GraphDB, Oxigraph, Virituoso, etc; more here) to store the graph, and then use queries against the graph to inform queries against the timeseries database.

Hope that helps!

Gabe