How to define "commands"

Oisín Grehan

Feb 2, 2022, 5:02:55 PM2/2/22
to Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
Hey all,

I'm trying to get my head around how commands (output points) are used to define an operation to actuate. The simplest example might be a thermostat that has a temperature point (input) and a setpoint point (input), but it can also be commanded with a new setpoint (output) -- am I thinking about this right?

So, is brick:Command meant to represent a type definition of a device _can_ be commanded (i.e. this is a owl:class/rdfs:type definition), or is it meant to represent a command _in flight_ (i.e. this is telemetry/an instance of a command that is being sent to actuate a target)

Yours confusedly.

-Oisin

Erik Paulson

Feb 10, 2022, 4:32:18 PM2/10/22
to Oisín Grehan, Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
Hi

Erik Paulson

Feb 10, 2022, 4:42:50 PM2/10/22
to Oisín Grehan, Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
(Sorry, I hit the trackpad with a very unlucky series of taps on the previous message and it went out way too early)

Anyway, Hi Oisín -

It's the first definition - a brick:Command is a representation of a point that can be commanded. It is not about a message in transit.

-Erik

Oisín Grehan

Feb 10, 2022, 6:09:13 PM2/10/22
to Erik Paulson, Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
Cool, thanks!