no brick:hasArea

majid.a...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2021, 2:14:39 PM8/26/21
to Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
The Entity Property page, https://docs.brickschema.org/metadata/entity-properties.html, led me to believe that there is a hasArea in the ontology when I couldn't find any such relationship.

Am I missing something?

Erik Paulson

Aug 26, 2021, 4:04:54 PM8/26/21
to majid.a...@gmail.com, Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
I think that doc is just outdated - the 'has' was dropped from the name of the property, it's just 'area' now.

-Erik

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 1:14 PM majid.a...@gmail.com <majid.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
The Entity Property page, https://docs.brickschema.org/metadata/entity-properties.html, led me to believe that there is a hasArea in the ontology when I couldn't find any such relationship.

Am I missing something?

Gabe Fierro

Aug 26, 2021, 4:47:24 PM8/26/21
to Erik Paulson, majid.a...@gmail.com, Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
Thanks Erik! I've updated the docs.brickschema.org link to reflect the change in entity property names.

Best,
Gabe

Nicholas Car

Sep 17, 2021, 6:24:59 PM9/17/21
to Gabe Fierro, Erik Paulson, majid.a...@gmail.com, Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
Hi all,

Please note that an updated version of the GeoSPARQL spatial ontology, GeoSPARQL 1.1 [1] is soon to be released by the OGC.

GeoSPARQL 1.1 has a geo:hasArea property that can be used like you use brick:area with QUDT values and units. There were no such scalar properties in previous GeoSPARQL.

You use geo:hasArea to indicate the area of a geo:Feature and, of course, the main GeoSPARQL concern is really Feature/Geometry relations, so you could indicate the area of a Room/Building/whatever and also indicate it’s geometry in global or local coordinates.

Gabe, do you already have relations from BRICK to GeoSPARQL?

Cheers,

Nick

[1] https://opengeospatial.github.io/ogc-geosparql/geosparql11/spec.html

—
Dr Nicholas Car
Data Systems Architect
SURROUND Australia
0477 560 177

Gabe Fierro

Sep 20, 2021, 1:35:04 PM9/20/21
to Nicholas Car, Gabe Fierro, Erik Paulson, majid.a...@gmail.com, Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)

Hi Nick:

Thanks for letting us know! I couldn't find any description of the range of geo:hasArea in the specification. Can you direct me to that description of what the values should look like?

We haven't incorporated any relations between Brick and GeoSPARQL at this time, but there is growing interest in representing more detailed geometric information in Brick models so it would be a good investment of our (Brick's) time to learn more about this upcoming GeoSPARQL ontology  version to see if that solves the use cases we've been developing. I'm particularly interested in how global and local coordinates are handled.

Best,

Gabe

Nicholas Car

Sep 22, 2021, 2:44:31 AM9/22/21
to Gabe Fierro, Gabe Fierro, Erik Paulson, majid.a...@gmail.com, Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
Sure, here's the v1.1 specification hasArea definition:

Here's an extended example of use:

and another:

Note that these examples all use QUDT numericValue & units or hasMetricArea and just a double value. It's possible to use other unit systems, like UCUM, but I'm not yet making examples of those. We should have some at some stage though.

> We haven't incorporated any relations between Brick and GeoSPARQL at this time,

In general, just declare something to be a Feature and then you can assign any Geometry you like to it with the full power of the various Geometry formats, including 3D geometries in GML, WKT etc.

Cheers,

Nick