Brick Query Builder

Philip H.

Oct 5, 2021, 3:25:18 AM10/5/21
to Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
Hello Brick-Community

I took a look at the Brickschema tools on the website.
I noticed the QueryBuilder tool that could be useful for me later.
Unfortunately the linked website doesn't seem to be available.

Has it been discontinued? Is there an alternative access?

Best Regards
Philip

PS: If it would be possible for you, could you please also to take a look at my other issues once more?

Gabe Fierro

Oct 5, 2021, 5:37:03 PM10/5/21
to brick...@googlegroups.com

Hi Philip:

Unfortunately the QueryBuilder is down while there is work happening in the datacenter at my previous institution. I had originally expected the servers to be back up w/n a couple weeks but that is now a few months ago. As part of the Brick Tooling WG, there is interest in redeveloping the QueryBuilder or something like it that is not necessarily Brick-specific. Keep an eye out!

If you search around for "visual SPARQL query builder" there are a few other efforts out there such as https://leipert.github.io/vsb/ that might be worth looking into

Best,

Gabe

Philip H.

Oct 6, 2021, 4:02:28 AM10/6/21
to Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
Hi Gabe

I was interested in QueryBuilder, because it was specific to Brick, but if other tools work as well, then I'll try them.

I also want to thank you and the Brick community for taking a look at all my questions/issues and providing me with answers.
As an outsider it can be confusing to look at all these different kinds of projects and documentations, so I'm very grateful to have place where I can ask my questions and post my Issues.
I hope I'm not overstaying my welcome, but hopefully I'll be done soon.

Best Regards
Philip

Gabe Fierro

Oct 11, 2021, 5:56:18 PM10/11/21
to Philip H., Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)

Hi Philip:

You are not the only one who has asked for the querybuilder to be up again! I will see what I can do; some recent projects like Oxigraph have made it possible to run this entirely in the browser, which can simplify the deployment and make it easier for me to keep services running. I should point out that if you are interested in getting involved with tooling, the Brick Tooling Working Group (times at https://brickschema.org/blog/working-groups/) is open to the public and is always looking for volunteers.

You are always welcome to participate in the community -- ask all the questions you want!

Best,

Gabe

Sven Ruben Philip Geronimo Hartmann

Oct 12, 2021, 5:56:57 AM10/12/21
to Gabe Fierro, Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
Hi Gabe

Glad to hear that querybuilder might make a comeback.
So far I tested Protégé, which gives useful insights in the ontology file, but not much beyond. I also searched for alternatives to the BrickViewer visualizer, since the visualization is quite hard to read but most visualizer and seem to have trouble since Brick ontologies do not use object properties or data properties.

As much as I am interested in tooling, my programming abilities are "still improving" to put it mildly and the meeting times are in the middle of the night for my timezone. I might try asking my university if contributions could be credited in some way however.

Best Regards
Philip