Locations, Floorplans and other Visualizations

gt.f...@berkeley.edu

Jun 8, 2021, 2:44:38 PM6/8/21
to Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
Hello Brick Community!

A recent ask that we have seen more and more of is how Brick can support visualizations of floorplans, equipment and sensor placement and related viz tasks. I wanted to reach out to the community to get more clarity on what kinds of use cases are out there with respect to visualization, so that Brick can better support these workflows.

Here are some questions to seed the conversation, but please respond with whatever you feel is relevant or interesting.

How should Brick indicate the location of an entity, to a degree of specificity beyond the broad "hasLocation" property that currently exists? Image coordinates? XYZ coordinates in some building-specific coordinate space? Latitude/Longitude?

Are there ways of capturing location that we can adopt, such as from asset management systems or BIM models? What would we need to embed in a Brick model in order to refer to the external location information?

Best,
Gabe

Erik Paulson

Jun 10, 2021, 9:17:23 PM6/10/21
to gt.f...@berkeley.edu, Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
One thing I was reminded of today was that Modelica includes some graphical/visualization annotation. A lot of it seems to be local to modelica components, like how to draw one of these entities in the visualizer, but there's also annotations on how to connect elements together.

Maybe we leave all of that to CDL (which I think would pick all of the graphical annotations from Modelica?)  because that's only for visualizing the block diagrams, but I wanted to flag it as another aspect to consider.

(My modelica understanding is pretty basic so this could all be complete nonsense)

-Erik

ps this came top of mind because the Modelica Buildings Library had a big release today:

Martin Webrant

Jun 16, 2021, 2:33:07 AM6/16/21
to Erik Paulson, gt.f...@berkeley.edu, Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
I would go with real latitude/longitude due to the amount of floorplan coordinate systems (some bottom left, some top left, scale different per floorplan etc).
To be able to use the data easily it was either GeoSPARQL/CRS84 or WGS84 with geospatial extension was the alternatives I found if one for example use GraphDB.
RealEstateCore looks to have gone with GeoSPARQL.
Cheers,
Martin

peter yang

Jun 21, 2021, 2:52:38 AM6/21/21
to Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
There are many different use cases:

(1)visualize on GeoMap,
(2)visualize on 2d floor plan
(3)visualize on 3D earth
(4)visualize on 360 image
(5)visualize on 3D model

Jason Koh

Jul 13, 2021, 2:34:59 PM7/13/21
to Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
Please feel free to add comments (or ask me for editing permission)

I have some opinion on this, but didn't specify that in the doc yet. We will discuss this more on today's Ontology WG meeting, and then summarize the outcome in this thread after then.

Thanks!

With regards,
Jason Koh
jbkoh.github.io

gt.f...@berkeley.edu

Jul 21, 2021, 4:08:09 PM7/21/21
to Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
Hi everyone:

Please make sure to review the above document and thread; we will be discussing locations as part of the Ontology working group meeting tomorrow. (Working group schedule + links here)

Best,
Gabe