Haystack in DOE's BENEFIT funding, what is it influence on Brick?

Jimmy Li

Oct 15, 2021, 3:01:38 AM10/15/21
to Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
I received a marketing email about Haystack Selected Among DOE’s Building Technologies Office Energy Efficiency Frontiers & Innovation Technologies (BENEFIT) Funding Opportunity. I checked the list, Brick is not in it.
What's the influence on Brick? Does this mean Haystack is a government-approved standard?

Gabe Fierro

Oct 15, 2021, 1:54:10 PM10/15/21
to Jimmy Li, Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)

Hi Jimmy:

This does not mean that Haystack is a government-approved standard (it's technically not even a standard). Brick was also funded by a BENEFIT grant in 2019 (https://www.energy.gov/nepa/downloads/cx-101494-skewering-silos-using-brick-enable-portable-analytics-modeling-and-controls).

I believe the specific project deliverables are still under negotiation for the Haystack BENEFIT project, but my understanding is that one of the goals of the project is to bring Brick and Haystack closer together. There are ongoing conversations determining exactly how it is that we might achieve that. Personally, I think that redefining Haystack protos in terms of Brick classes is probably the most fruitful way forward. Look for additional information in the respective communities over the next few months!

Best,

Gabe

On 10/15/21 1:01 AM, Jimmy Li wrote:
I received a marketing email about Haystack Selected Among DOE’s Building Technologies Office Energy Efficiency Frontiers & Innovation Technologies (BENEFIT) Funding Opportunity. I checked the list, Brick is not in it.
What's the influence on Brick? Does this mean Haystack is a government-approved standard?

Jimmy Li

Oct 15, 2021, 11:44:32 PM10/15/21
to Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
Hi Gabe,

Thanks for answering, is the project for Collaborating Brick and Haystack for ASHRAE Standard 223P still undergoing?
BTW, nice speech on Global AI Challenge for Building E&M Facilities.

Best regards,
Jimmy

Gabe Fierro

Oct 18, 2021, 2:20:03 PM10/18/21
to brick...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jimmy:

Yes! I am actively involved in the 223P development and maintain integration between Brick and 223P as a near-term goal as the 223P design matures. I am also exploring Brick/Haystack alignment options.

Glad you saw the talk!

Best,

Gabe

Jimmy Li

Oct 20, 2021, 9:33:42 PM10/20/21
to Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
Thanks for answering. This may sound silly, can others join the development of 223P?

Best regards,
Jimmy

Joel Bender

Oct 20, 2021, 10:59:58 PM10/20/21
to Brick User Forum (Unified Building Metadata Schema)
> can others join the development of 223P?

Absolutely, all are welcome.  First, go to the Google Group and ask to be a member, you will get meeting announcements and access to the minutes.  I also have an Outlook Calendar invitation to a recurring Zoom meeting for bi-weekly committee meetings where we review the work that the "strike teams" (modeling focused sub-groups) have accomplished, send me an email and I'll add you to the calendar.

Joel