a newbie question.

Karan Ahuja

Jan 28, 2018, 1:37:36 PM1/28/18
to Brick Users
Hello group,

I just came across brick.

i am a user of gtk.

how is brick different from gtk+ ?

i was looking for trying out stuff i do in gtk with a library in haskell - as i wish to work on haskell.

it will be great if you can tell me what is difference in features/benefits/future prospects of gtk + , brick ?

in general how does haskell compare to C for graphical user interface applications?
I ask this as I cannot figure out why haskell is behind as compared to C and C ++ when it comes to graphical user interfaces .
I read stuff on reddit - but couldnt clearly understand about prospects of haskell for graphical user interfaces in long term.

Hoping to get answers, resources to learn , create.

Best Regards,
Karan Ahuja

Jonathan Daugherty

Jan 28, 2018, 2:03:53 PM1/28/18
to Karan Ahuja, Brick Users
Hello,

> it will be great if you can tell me what is difference in
> features/benefits/future prospects of gtk + , brick ?

They're pretty different approaches to constructing interfaces. In GTK,
a hierarchical collection of stateful UI elements need to be
constructed and event handlers need to be connected to various UI
behaviors. In Brick, event handling is separated from the UI and the UI
is drawn using a declarative API rather than an imperative one.

As to the benefits, that's a rather deep question that gets more into
the benefits of functional vs. imperative programming and declarative
approaches, so I hesitate to attempt a summary here. :)

As for future prospects, well, GTK is a much, much older project with
much, much wider deployment than brick. But they are for different
things and necessarily have different designs.

Beyond that, my answer is that you're comparing apples to oranges. :)

I suggest you check out the Brick demo programs and documentation and
compare what you learn there to the GTK knowledge that you already have.

> in general how does haskell compare to C for graphical user interface
> applications?
> I ask this as I cannot figure out why haskell is behind as compared to
> C and C ++ when it comes to graphical user interfaces .

That's a bit out of scope for this list; I think you could get very
interesting answers by asking on the Haskell subreddit or e-mail lists.

--
Jonathan Daugherty