Slow rendering issue with renderBox

Mitsutoshi Aoe

Dec 28, 2016, 10:51:25 AM12/28/16
to Brick Users
Hi all,

I'm now trying out brick in my project[1] and found it a bit sluggish when I have a large number of items in a vBox.

Does anyone have an idea to speed it up?

Here are the instructions to reproduce the issue:

cd viewprof
stack build
stack exec viewprof -- viewprof.prof

then type j to move the cursor.

At a quick glance, renderBox seems to traverse the argument list and forces its items regardless of their visibility, meaning that it renders all the AggregateCostCentres every time it processes an event. Should I somehow make renderBox lazier or should I consider using caching?

Thanks,
Mitsutoshi

Mitsutoshi Aoe

Dec 30, 2016, 8:31:21 PM12/30/16
to Brick Users
I worked around this issue with a performance improvement[1] in brick and caching[2] in viewprof. HEAD is now fast enough to display the report in question.

Regards,
Mitsutoshi

drcy...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2017, 1:55:19 PM1/3/17
to Brick Users
Hi,

Judging by the pull request you sent, it looks like you've been able to get past the performance issue you encountered. Thanks for the patch! And let me know if anything else arises.