Fauci’s Phantom Hantavirus Guidance

0 views
Skip to first unread message

NewsGuard's Reality Check

unread,
May 18, 2026, 2:07:46 PM (20 hours ago) May 18
to brian...@googlegroups.com
Social media accounts falsely claim that Anthony Fauci is calling for face masks and social distancing in response to the hantavirus outbreak.
͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­͏     ­
Forwarded this email? Subscribe here for more

Fauci’s Phantom Hantavirus Guidance

Social media accounts falsely claim that Anthony Fauci is calling for face masks and social distancing in response to the hantavirus outbreak.

 
READ IN APP
 

Welcome to Reality Check, NewsGuard’s nonpartisan newsletter that tracks the false claims and conspiracy theories that shape our world — and who’s behind them. Please support us by becoming a premium member or sharing our work.

Follow us: X | LinkedIn | Instagram | TikTok | Bluesky


New Virus, Old Bogeyman: Social Media Accounts Claim Anthony Fauci Calls for Face Masks and Social Distancing to Curb Hantavirus Outbreak

By Anicka Slachta

An X account fabricates a quote attributed to Anthony Fauci (left), stating, “It may be time to start wearing masks again maintaining social distance.” (Screenshot via NewsGuard)

What’s happening: Social media users skeptical of health authorities claim that Dr. Anthony Fauci — formerly the government’s top infectious disease official and a favorite target of health hoaxsters — is calling for the return of face masks and social distancing in response to the hantavirus outbreak. Fauci told NewsGuard that he has said no such thing.

Context: As of May 13, 2026, a hantavirus outbreak on the Dutch cruise ship MV Hondius had sickened 11 people, including three who died, according to the World Health Organization. Officials have not determined how the outbreak on the ship began.

Fauci, who led the U.S. government’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic from 2020 to 2022, was a favorite punching bag of critics of the U.S. response to COVID-19. Indeed, he previously has been the target of 15 false claims related to public health identified by NewsGuard. Among them: An accusation advanced by Robert F. Kennedy Jr. that Fauci would profit from a COVID-19 vaccine; that Fauci ordered all unvaccinated people to be “locked down;” and that the New Zealand government charged Fauci with thousands of counts of negligent homicide.

A closer look: Amid the hantavirus outbreak, social media users claim that Fauci is calling for face masks and social distancing to curb the spread of the virus. The claim appears to have originated on the X account “Hoops Crave,” which stated, “Dr. Fauci returns to the spotlight to address Hantavirus concerns: ‘It may be time to start wearing masks again [and] maintaining social distance.’” The post garnered 1.3 million views and 7,200 likes and was reposted by 1,600 users.

  • An Instagram post from an account called “Headlines 360,” which has 121,000 followers, stated: “Dr. Anthony Fauci has returned to the public eye to issue a warning regarding rising Hantavirus concerns across the nation. He suggested that it may be necessary for citizens to resume wearing masks and maintaining social distance to mitigate the potential spread of this specific pathogen now.” The post received 9,400 likes.

  • The claim also appeared on The People’s Voice — a website that NewsGuard found to publish false and egregiously misleading claims about health — in an article titled “Dr. Fauci Demands Return of Masks and Social Distancing To ‘Stop Spread’ of Hantavirus.’”

Actually: Before researchers developed a COVID vaccine in December 2020, Fauci did recommend face masks and social distancing to help curb the spread of the virus. But he hasn’t issued any public health guidance on hantavirus.

  • Fauci told NewsGuard in a May 13, 2026, email: “I have not made any public comments about Hanta virus at all. Therefore, there is no way I made the comment.”

  • No global health authorities have recommended masking, social distancing, or other population-level health interventions to curb the spread of hantavirus. The World Health Organization says that the strain of hantavirus that spread on the cruise “has demonstrated limited human-to-human transmission in previous outbreaks” and does not pose a significant threat.

  • The account where the claim originated, “Hoops Crave,” is a self-described “parody account” and regularly posts sensational, fabricated quotes and headlines. However, many of the accounts that picked up the claim were apparently unaware of its satirical origins.


Learn more about Reality Check’s Premium Membership here.


Last Chance: Take Our Quiz for a Chance to Win!

Fake reports impersonating Western news outlets are a key weapon in Russia’s disinformation arsenal. NewsGuard has identified fabricated articles designed to look like real news accounts from dozens of legitimate outlets — all created to spread false claims about Ukraine. Can you tell the fake headline from the real one?

Your time is recorded, and the highest score in the shortest amount of time wins a stylish NewsGuard cap.

Take the Quiz!


This newsletter was edited by Sofia Rubinson and Eric Effron.


You find, we report: Let your fellow Reality Check readers know about false claims you run across online. Our analysts debunk false claims before any others 80% of the time, but we can’t catch everything. If you find what looks like a false claim, let us know. We’ll investigate and report back in Reality Check.


Reality Check is produced by co-CEOs Steven Brill and Gordon Crovitz, and the NewsGuard team.

We launched Reality Check to shed light on the false claims spreading online, how they spread, and the forces behind them. Each day, we aim to bring you the story behind your news feed and help you stay informed about the false claims circulating in the news. Support our work by becoming a premium member.

Have feedback? Send us an email: realit...@newsguardtech.com.

Share NewsGuard’s Substack

You’re currently a free subscriber to NewsGuard's Reality Check. To support our work, please consider upgrading your subscription.

 
Share
 
 
Like
Comment
Restack
 

© 2026 NewsGuard Technologies, Inc.
25 W 52nd St, New York, NY 10019
Unsubscribe

Start writing

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages