Pressurestat alternatives?

Murray Roblin

Nov 27, 2023, 4:10:41 PM11/27/23
to Brewtus
Hi all. Failed pressurestat, sticking connection to steam boiler. Big steam noise!

WLL is out of stock and chat suggests they will not restock.

Has anyone used / adapted an alternative?

(Bums me out that WLL is not restocking).

Thanks,
Murray

Todd Salzman

Nov 27, 2023, 5:25:02 PM11/27/23
to bre...@googlegroups.com
Which pressurestat are you looking for?
We are still getting Expobar parts

Thanks

Todd
Whole Latte Love

Murray Roblin

Nov 27, 2023, 5:41:56 PM11/27/23
to bre...@googlegroups.com
Hi Todd,
https://www.wholelattelove.com/products/3-wire-pressurestat-d1-15-narrow-band

Chat today with Noah confirmed out of stock and suggested (though
didn't explicitly state) that they would not be restocked.. He
directed me to espressoparts.com

Murray
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Brewtus" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/brewtus/CA%2BX2q_qaw8NOMYB0Ga1Uj%2BZJO6jt1Ohvbr1x857OxGx3N0tZzg%40mail.gmail.com.

Todd Salzman

Nov 27, 2023, 5:49:13 PM11/27/23
to bre...@googlegroups.com, mro...@gmail.com
  We do have them on order.

I'll talk with Noah about this.

I do not have an exact ETA but it is about two weeks.

Send me a private e mail if you like and we can get an order set up if you like.

Thanks

Todd

Murray Roblin

Nov 27, 2023, 6:05:03 PM11/27/23
to Brewtus
Thanks for being so responsive. WLL for the win. I'll follow up with you directly.
Murray

Mike Walsh

Dec 5, 2023, 11:12:01 AM12/5/23
to Brewtus
I appreciate WLL continuing to have these available, esp since they don't seem to last long.

I can often get some additional time out of them once they begin sticking by rotating the adjustment a turn or two in each direction, then returning it to the original position.  That may get me another month or two each time.  But eventually they fail with a fairly short lifetime.

Is there ANYTHING that we can retrofit without too much trouble that has a longer life?

Murray Roblin

Dec 5, 2023, 12:25:21 PM12/5/23
to Brewtus
Before I knew that WLL was getting a shipment of these pressurestats, I went down a pressurestat rabbit hole, primarily on home-barista.

Most machines use them and there is a clear divide between pressurestats for commercial machines vs. home machines. Many of the home machine pressurestats are flimsy and fail regularly. Failure mechanisms include diaphragm failure/sticking and electrical contact failure. One suggestion is to try to isolate the pressurestat from boiler heat, which might be difficult with our Brewtuses (Brewti?). Another suggestion is to install a relay/contactor between the pressurestat and the water boiler to reduce the load on the contacts when it switches from steam heat to boiler heat (current to water boiler heater flows directly through pressurestat switch).

Another suggestion is to adapt a commercial pressurestat, e.g. Parker, to our machines. The biggest issue is space - I think that the Parker style pressurestats are too large to fit in the location of the existing pressurestat. There are smaller sized commercial pressurestats that might fit.

Or, perhaps the pressurestat should be considered a wear part and we should all keep a stock of a few to replace as needed.

Murray Roblin

Dec 5, 2023, 12:51:12 PM12/5/23
to Brewtus
Following up, here is a link describing pressurestats and their issues:

Mike Walsh

Dec 8, 2023, 3:23:32 PM12/8/23
to Brewtus
thanks so much!

Murray Roblin

Dec 11, 2023, 11:43:02 PM12/11/23
to Brewtus
Following up. While waiting for WLL to restock, I ordered a mater pressurestat from espressoparts.com. I believe it has a wider deadband, but It fits, and seems to be working fine.

Michael Rizzi

Dec 12, 2023, 9:27:53 AM12/12/23
to bre...@googlegroups.com
Is it the “ PRESSURE SWITCH XP110 125 0.5-1.2 BAR. Connection ø 1/4"M - 15A 125/250V, preset at 1 bar, 5.8 mm orifice.”  SKU: EK_316?

I am trying to get my brewtus going for the holiday and I believe my pressurestat went out.