CPU For Brewtus IV-R

Bruce in Winnipeg

Feb 18, 2022, 10:53:27 AM2/18/22
to Brewtus
My Brewtus IV-R just past its 10th year. Lots of wonderful coffee along the way.

It failed and I brought it into my local espresso shop. They believe it needs a new "CPU" and I've put a photo here. I've tried Zcafe in Canada. No luck. Apparently, Whole Latte Love can't help either.

What do you experts here think? I know ten years is a good run but I thought with good maintenance, an espresso machine should last for decades. Zcafe told me that 10 years is perhaps its life span and maintenance could get expensive.

Any thought out there (here)?IMG_7093.jpg

Bruce in Winnipeg

Feb 18, 2022, 2:13:42 PM2/18/22
to Brewtus
Hey this just in....It turns out Whole Latte Love can help after all. They do carry the part but it is out of stock, coming in 3-4 weeks. So, with some patience, I'll have the replacement part and hopefully all will be well.

lebnomis

Feb 18, 2022, 8:25:33 PM2/18/22
to Brewtus
I think I may need to replace the same part on my IV-R. Have you looked into potentially repairing the unit instead?

Bruce in Winnipeg

Feb 19, 2022, 9:29:05 AM2/19/22
to Brewtus
Hi Lebnomis,

Fixing the CPU itself is a whole other level of expertise. That means knowledge of electronics etc. Personally, I know that's beyond me and I'm not sure if those kinds of things can be fixed by anyone. Maybe one could figure out what component of the CPU failed (a chip?) and then try to replace that chip. I think trying to find replacement parts for the replacement part would be even harder.

Long answer to say 'no', I hadn't considered trying to repair the CPU itself.

Good luck to you too in getting your machine well.

Murray Roblin

Feb 19, 2022, 11:11:38 AM2/19/22
to Brewtus
There was another thread {last month?) talking of a retrofit of another control board to a Brewtus. Poke around in the archives and you should be able to find it.  Perhaps search for "control board retrofit".

Enders13

Feb 19, 2022, 11:37:08 AM2/19/22
to Brewtus
Go 2 posts down on the main conversations list, I just replaced one on my upgraded BII. The upgrade is to use the one you have, but I cant get it in the UK so I got one similare and just sussed out the connections. They all do the same job, fill the steam boiler when it's low, that's it!!

Enders13

Feb 19, 2022, 11:38:29 AM2/19/22
to Brewtus

Joseph Helminiak

Feb 21, 2022, 12:49:36 PM2/21/22
to bre...@googlegroups.com
I just put an auber pid in mine after my board fell apart

///sent from mobile account///
Joseph (Joe) Helminiak
(314) 556-4488

Ira

Feb 21, 2022, 1:50:04 PM2/21/22
to Murray Roblin

Hello Murray,

Saturday, February 19, 2022, 8:11:37 AM, you wrote:

What do you experts here think? I know ten years is a good run but I thought with good maintenance, an espresso machine should last for decades. Zcafe told me that 10 years is perhaps its life span and maintenance could get expensive.

Fixing the CPU is usually not that hard if you have access to suitable tools. If you do I'll be happy to guide you.

-- Ira

Bruce in Winnipeg

Feb 22, 2022, 4:10:54 PM2/22/22
to Brewtus

Hi Ira,

Your response was sent to Murray but it affects me too. I had originally posted this thread.

You are helpful as always Ira. Sad to say, for me, that I am not a great fixer upper kind of guy so fixing the CPU may be out of my bailiwick. You say its easy if I have access to suitable tools. I'm not sure what those tools are so that pretty much sums it up! My Brewtus is at the espresso shop here in Winnipeg and I have to leave it to them.

Unfortunate for sure but such it is.

Taras Mankovski

Jul 20, 2022, 7:19:53 PM7/20/22
to Brewtus
Were you able to get this part in the end? How much did it cost you (if you don't mind)? I'm in need of this controller for my Expobar machine.

Bruce in Winnipeg

Jul 20, 2022, 7:46:30 PM7/20/22
to Brewtus
Greetings tar...gmail.com

I did indeed get the part from Whole Latte Love! It took a while but it did come in. The price was around $100 CDN ($75US?). Unfortunately, I can't find the receipt to give you the exact price.

But, you are in luck as you've got another option. I was working with my local espresso shop, Deluca's to get the controller. Unknown to me, they too bought a control unit. After my part came in, I took it to Deluca's for repair and had more  problems with my Expobar. At this point it was beyond repair. Too much rust and such. So I bought an ECM Synchronika from them. Lovely machine. Deluca  scrapped my Expobar  *except* for the controller because it was basically brand new. I think this means Deluca's have two Expobar controllers in stock.

you can go to www.winnipegcoffee.com and go to the contact page to either phone them or send an email. Either way, the guy you want is Fabio. He's the coffee guy.

If you are not interested in cross border hassle of shipping, Whole Latte Love can definitely help.

Best of luck!

Taras Mankovski

Jul 20, 2022, 9:25:52 PM7/20/22
to bre...@googlegroups.com