CPU For Brewtus IV-R

Bruce in Winnipeg

Feb 18, 2022, 10:53:27 AMFeb 18
to Brewtus
My Brewtus IV-R just past its 10th year. Lots of wonderful coffee along the way.

It failed and I brought it into my local espresso shop. They believe it needs a new "CPU" and I've put a photo here. I've tried Zcafe in Canada. No luck. Apparently, Whole Latte Love can't help either.

What do you experts here think? I know ten years is a good run but I thought with good maintenance, an espresso machine should last for decades. Zcafe told me that 10 years is perhaps its life span and maintenance could get expensive.

Any thought out there (here)?IMG_7093.jpg

Bruce in Winnipeg

Feb 18, 2022, 2:13:42 PMFeb 18
to Brewtus
Hey this just in....It turns out Whole Latte Love can help after all. They do carry the part but it is out of stock, coming in 3-4 weeks. So, with some patience, I'll have the replacement part and hopefully all will be well.

lebnomis

Feb 18, 2022, 8:25:33 PMFeb 18
to Brewtus
I think I may need to replace the same part on my IV-R. Have you looked into potentially repairing the unit instead?

Bruce in Winnipeg

Feb 19, 2022, 9:29:05 AMFeb 19
to Brewtus
Hi Lebnomis,

Fixing the CPU itself is a whole other level of expertise. That means knowledge of electronics etc. Personally, I know that's beyond me and I'm not sure if those kinds of things can be fixed by anyone. Maybe one could figure out what component of the CPU failed (a chip?) and then try to replace that chip. I think trying to find replacement parts for the replacement part would be even harder.

Long answer to say 'no', I hadn't considered trying to repair the CPU itself.

Good luck to you too in getting your machine well.

Murray Roblin

Feb 19, 2022, 11:11:38 AMFeb 19
to Brewtus
There was another thread {last month?) talking of a retrofit of another control board to a Brewtus. Poke around in the archives and you should be able to find it.  Perhaps search for "control board retrofit".

Enders13

Feb 19, 2022, 11:37:08 AMFeb 19
to Brewtus
Go 2 posts down on the main conversations list, I just replaced one on my upgraded BII. The upgrade is to use the one you have, but I cant get it in the UK so I got one similare and just sussed out the connections. They all do the same job, fill the steam boiler when it's low, that's it!!

Enders13

Feb 19, 2022, 11:38:29 AMFeb 19
to Brewtus

Joseph Helminiak

Feb 21, 2022, 12:49:36 PMFeb 21
to bre...@googlegroups.com
I just put an auber pid in mine after my board fell apart

///sent from mobile account///
Joseph (Joe) Helminiak
(314) 556-4488

Ira

Feb 21, 2022, 1:50:04 PMFeb 21
to Murray Roblin

Hello Murray,

Saturday, February 19, 2022, 8:11:37 AM, you wrote:

What do you experts here think? I know ten years is a good run but I thought with good maintenance, an espresso machine should last for decades. Zcafe told me that 10 years is perhaps its life span and maintenance could get expensive.

Fixing the CPU is usually not that hard if you have access to suitable tools. If you do I'll be happy to guide you.

-- Ira

Bruce in Winnipeg

Feb 22, 2022, 4:10:54 PMFeb 22
to Brewtus

Hi Ira,

Your response was sent to Murray but it affects me too. I had originally posted this thread.

You are helpful as always Ira. Sad to say, for me, that I am not a great fixer upper kind of guy so fixing the CPU may be out of my bailiwick. You say its easy if I have access to suitable tools. I'm not sure what those tools are so that pretty much sums it up! My Brewtus is at the espresso shop here in Winnipeg and I have to leave it to them.

Unfortunate for sure but such it is.