Disk scan

TracyS

Jun 18, 2021, 12:13:05 PM6/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hello all,

With my last B2 restart, the system message on front shows the system is doing a disk scan, going through sectors or songs with each in the range between 57xx and 7xxx - don't think it's repeating numbers, but can't say for sure. Obviously don't want to stop something that may be reading data, but not quite sure the overall status. Problem or not?

Thanks!

Daniel Taylor

Jun 18, 2021, 4:17:48 PM6/18/21
to Brennan Forum
I'm pretty sure that's normal.  Most people ignore it and go on with whatever.  Others are aware that the B2 does not like to do more than one thing at a time.  so you could wait the minute or two that it will take to finish before going on with anything else.

Daniel Taylor

Jun 18, 2021, 8:32:37 PM6/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Tracy messaged me privately:
-----------------------------
"Unfortunately it's been going on for a couple of hours, so it seems to be some type of extended disk check? The front console is flashing as it shows the scanning disk message with the numbers listed after (i.e. Scanning Disk 7331 ) - again as a rule do not like stopping a disk check, but am concerned for the length of time this is happening."
-----------------------------
That does seem excessive.  Does the number of the track it's scanning keep counting up?  Does it start over again?

You can stop it by pressing and holding the STOP button on the front panel until the word SAVING appears, wait until that changes to the clock.  If that works, then you can investigate if the unit is functioning properly in other respects.

TracyS

Jun 18, 2021, 9:16:53 PM6/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Daniel, appreciate the assistance.

Did as you advised and hit stop, but for whatever reason, didn't do anything. At that point, decided it was probably best to try a full shutdown and that seems to have removed the issue. My main concern was that some type of read/write activity was happening during the scan and that an abrupt shutdown could cause issues, but thankfully all is good. Will continue to monitor and see what else I can determine.

Again thanks all for your help!

PMB

Jun 21, 2021, 2:07:18 AM6/21/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi TracyS,

It may have been a start up glitch unless you have a USB storage device, e.g. your backup device or a memory stick, plugged in - in that case the B2 will scan the contents of the connected device.

Paul
Brennan Support.