CD burning problems

rita....@btopenworld.com

Jan 13, 2022, 5:11:57 AM1/13/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Everyone.
This isn't strictly a B2 problem, but I know there is lots of expertise out there, and I'm a bit stumped.  A few days ago I tried to rip a new cd to my B2 but the rip was incomplete.  I ripped the cd to Windows Media Player and, as I put a blank disc in the computer disc drive, to burn, the disc slipped and has damaged the drive.  I've tried to use an external drive but WMP won't seem to work.  I think what might be happening is that the computer is trying to access my Roxio software to burn the disc.  The disc seems to record ok but the B2 won't recognise it.  I wonder if I can download an alternative burning programme suitable for music cd's rather than data?  If so, is there one you would recommend that is easy to use?  (I'm a 70 year old, not very techie music lover).  Thanks for any help you could offer.  Rita

Jeff. M.

Jan 13, 2022, 5:29:14 AM1/13/22
to Brennan Forum
In your pc settings there will be a default setting for programmes to use, find that and reset to wmp, which is good, and I use all the time. To find your settings, try a Google search!

Jeff. M.

Jan 13, 2022, 5:30:49 AM1/13/22
to Brennan Forum
Ah, and maybe cdr or cdrw don't work on  B2?!

Daniel Taylor

Jan 13, 2022, 6:40:03 AM1/13/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Rita,
Most (all?) CD burning programs allow you to choose whether to burn a data disc or an audio disc.  You want to make sure you've selected the option to burn an audio disc.  The B2 cannot read data discs.

rita....@btopenworld.com

Jan 13, 2022, 11:08:41 AM1/13/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel.  I had tried that but it  wouldn't work, saying it was an invalid file type.  I was able to download a version in flac and that worked fine.  Thanks for your encouragement to try again  Rita

rita....@btopenworld.com

Jan 13, 2022, 11:12:47 AM1/13/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jeff.  Sorry if this is a silly question but do you mean that I can find a way to set Roxio to link with WMP?  At the moment they are not talking to each other.  Thanks  Rita

Jeff. M.

Jan 13, 2022, 11:21:28 AM1/13/22
to Brennan Forum
Sorry, no, it just means you can allocate your cd drive to work with Roxio OR WMP as the default programme it will open in. I don't think they will talk to each other!

PMB

Jan 14, 2022, 4:02:33 AM1/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Rita...,

And remember the B2 will only play WAV, FLAC, MP3, M4A or ALAC files, so the disc needs to be burned with one of these formats.

Paul
Brennan Support.

rita....@btopenworld.com

Jan 14, 2022, 6:48:16 AM1/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul. Thanks. It was that, that confused me earlier.  The first digital copy I downloaded from Bandcamp was in MP3V0 format which WMP was fine with before it stopped working, but Roxio wouldn't recognise.  However Roxio was fine with FLAC.  I'm still trying to find a way of using WMP when it won't recognise my external disc drive and I can't find how to change the settings to drive E.  Rita

rita....@btopenworld.com

Jan 14, 2022, 6:50:19 AM1/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Jeff.  I'm working on this but haven't cracked it yet.  Rita

Jeff. M.

Jan 14, 2022, 9:36:25 AM1/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Rita, Does your CD drive show in windows explorer? Put a CD in it and right click with the mouse. There should be an option to play using.....select WMP in this list. Maybe unplug and re plug the drive first.

JFBUK

Jan 14, 2022, 10:04:15 AM1/14/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Rita,

when you are in WMP you should be able to change the burn drive assuming that the external drive is being fully recognised by Windows.
If you click on the burn tab , over to the right the something like this should be displayed.
Click on next drive and it will cycle through your choices

Screenshot 2022-01-14 145656.jpg

If you don't see 'next drive' the Windows is  likely not seeing the external cd drive

John

rita....@btopenworld.com

Jan 15, 2022, 9:21:15 AM1/15/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi John.  Thanks for that.  I'd tried that earlier and it didn't seem to work.  This time I tried burning a different cd and that did work.  It seems like when the burn failed last week, some of the tracks were stuck in the memory.  I've now burned a newly purchased cd and ripped it to my B2 and all is well.  Thanks for the impetus to try again.  What a wonderful resource the forum is.