three questions, each needing an idiot's guide!

Iain McGregor

Feb 13, 2020, 5:38:23 PM2/13/20
to Brennan Forum
I have now begun using the B2, and have already put 15 CDs onto it without difficulty.  However, I remember reading (and I can't find the post) that it was possible to put the contents of two or more CDs into one file, and, conversely, to put the contents of half a CD into a separate file.  I've been looking, and trying, to do this most of the evening, and I simply can't find a way of performing either task!  Can someone please help with an idiot's guide!

I've found, by the way, that the CDDB only picked up one recording, and the others I have had to rename manually, and, of course, without any artwork (though that is not so much of a concern).  Not a problem, but it just takes rather a long time!  Any ideas as to how to encourage it to pick up more recording data?

Also, I'm very keen to upgrade regularly the B2's software, but I'm a bit reluctant to try too many things in case I delete all the recordings I have so enjoyably put on the B2!  Can someone please send me an idiot's guide, from beginning to end, as to how to upgrade in total security, and without the least fear of doing any damage?

But the recordings really do transfer very well, and sound magnificent, so I'm very pleased with the B2, and its default compression to FLAC is wonderful!  And I think I've made the indexing system work for me!

Daniel Taylor

Feb 13, 2020, 7:14:31 PM2/13/20
to Brennan Forum
On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 5:38:23 PM UTC-5, Iain McGregor wrote:
I have now begun using the B2, and have already put 15 CDs onto it without difficulty.  However, I remember reading (and I can't find the post) that it was possible to put the contents of two or more CDs into one file, and, conversely, to put the contents of half a CD into a separate file.  I've been looking, and trying, to do this most of the evening, and I simply can't find a way of performing either task!  Can someone please help with an idiot's guide!
Although I think what you want to do can be done on the B2, I would find it much easier to do it on a PC, where I can edit filenames and drag and drop files to the folder(s) I wish.  Then Import them to the B2 from a USB stick.
Also, I'm very keen to upgrade regularly the B2's software, but I'm a bit reluctant to try too many things in case I delete all the recordings I have so enjoyably put on the B2!  Can someone please send me an idiot's guide, from beginning to end, as to how to upgrade in total security, and without the least fear of doing any damage?

But the recordings really do transfer very well, and sound magnificent, so I'm very pleased with the B2, and its default compression to FLAC is wonderful!  And I think I've made the indexing system work for me!
With computers and software, you can never be 100% certain that files won't become corrupted.  Do yourself a favor and make at least one secure backup of all the files on your Brennan.  Then if the worst happens, you won't have to re-rip all your albums.

PMB

Feb 14, 2020, 2:39:22 AM2/14/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Iain,

Have you got the B2 connected to WiFi - see our How To's pages - link - for more info? Doing this means the B2 can use the online CD Database which is generally more up to date than the one loaded onto the B2 (and should recognise more of your CDs). Also recently we have had to change the online CDDB so a Web Upgrade will be necessary to get this new service.

Moving tracks around, creating new folders, etc is best done via your computer. This involves turning NAS mode on (after connecting the B2 to WiFi) on the B2 - see NAS & Sonos pages - link - for more info and viewing the contents of the B2's HDD on your computer. You can treat the folders and files on the B2 as you would any other computer files i.e. cut and paste, copy and paste, create new folder, etc. Please note you do have to run Scan Disc (Settings menu on the B2) to transfer any changes made on the computer to the B2 afterwards.

And as Daniel suggests, make a backup copy of your music.

BTW ripping is a two stage process - ripping and compression - see the How To's pages - link provided above. We suggest ripping batches of Cds, say 20-30 at a time and leaving the B2 powered overnight to compress these before adding more.

Paul
Brennan Support.