B2 2TB (2017 version)

Gary Knight

Dec 7, 2021, 2:16:55 PM12/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi,
I bought my B2 2TB in 2017 but I never found the Web Ui app very easy to get on with and because of this I haven't really invested any real time with the unit. It seems to time out and get stuck especially if there hasn't been any activity for a while.

I just attempted to use the WebUi app again this evening and I got lots of can't see the the Brennan notifications it would lock in but it seemed to not last very long also I tried to update the software but that just came up with an automatic download failed notification.

I would like to net the Brennan to my computer I will see if I can manage that this evening. However I don't appear to be having much luck with the B2. I have to unplug it every time a restart is required which has been three times this evening. I can see that most people here are able to use their Brennan's well and I am hoping that I will be able to do so soon. When I first bought the machine I hooked it up to fast remote CD drive and ingested 450 CDs but I've not really used it much due to frustrations with getting it going.  I will always turn to an easier alternative playback device.

I am hoping the software upgrade will work and then matters will improve. Is it possible to get an on off switch fitted I have an inline switch but took it out as it was not so reliable as a connection. It would randomly loose connection and turn off. I am keen to improve the situation and work with the B2.

Any advice most welcome.

Thanks,
Gary

Daniel Taylor

Dec 7, 2021, 2:33:23 PM12/7/21
to Brennan Forum
The first thing that occurs to me about your situation is that possibly your WiFi signal strength or quality is poor.  Please check it using the WiFi Strength command found in the Maintenance menu.  Here is the standard advice about that:
Your signal strength should be better than -50 (-40 being better, -60 being worse) and not fluctuate wildly.
To improve your signal strength, try the following:
Move your B2 closer to your router.
Switch the WiFi dongle to USB C.
Move your WiFi dongle to the end of a USB extension cable.
You can buy a new WiFi dongle that has an antenna.  Look for one that has the RT5370 chipset.
If none of that helps, you could try plugging a network cable between the inside back of the B2 and your router (and remove the WiFi dongle).

Regarding your inline switch.  If the connector to the B2 is not snug, that can happen.  You could try to get a different one that has a better fit.  the connector needs to be 2.1mm.

Gary Knight

Dec 7, 2021, 2:53:38 PM12/7/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Daniel.
I will order the parts now.
Much appreciated.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2021, 7:35:14 PM12/7/21
to Brennan Forum
The other thing that comes to mind is that if your Software version is VERY old then it may not be possible to do an upgrade to it over the internet.
Could you look at the front screen and tell us the software version you are on.

Fred

Gary Knight

Dec 8, 2021, 3:20:36 AM12/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks. I just tried but I am not sure how to find this information?
I have looked through the front panel. I will have another look at this over the weekend.

Gary Knight

Dec 8, 2021, 3:33:24 AM12/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Software Version Feb 27 2017 13:52:39

I got there via the desktop Web Ui App.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2021, 4:21:55 AM12/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Garry,

Your " Software Version Feb 27 2017" is VERY out of date.  see this Brennan Web Page
As you can see the latest version is " 22nd October 2021".

Unless you are technically competent at "flashing" CD Cards with operating system software (in which case tell us here and we will guide you through doing this for the B2), I would suggest you purchase a
new SD Card (with the software on it already) from the Brennan shop.

a.JPG

I believe your B2 will have a little SD Card that sticks out of the right hand side (mine is of a similar age and has this). IF this is the Case then you need the top SD Card, IF there is no card sticking out of the side
then your card is internal and yo will need to order the lower "Micro" SD Card.
If you card is internal then you need to take the back off the B2 to install it as described here (it is not difficult to do).

Once you have fitted the new SD Card, power the B2 up and using the Front display and the Round knob - go through the Menus thus:-
Main Menu > Settings > Web Upgrade
a.JPG

This will ensure that you are on the very latest release (the one on the card may have been written before the latest version came out).

Your B2 will then behave and have all the functionality of a new Brennan B2.

Fred

Les Stanley

Dec 8, 2021, 4:55:42 PM12/8/21
to Brennan Forum
Sounds like another example of where some kind of automatic software update option would have saved the day.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2021, 5:18:00 PM12/8/21
to Brennan Forum
There is an automatic option but every now and then, over time, the nature of the upgrade means that a complete rewrite of the SD Card is needed.
If you think about it most hardware purchased 5 years ago would now be obsolete and unsupported. However with Brennan, with a little technical expertise or simply purchasing a cheap new SD Card, your purchase can be brought right up to date with a brand new Brennan.
Fred

PMB

Dec 9, 2021, 3:49:40 AM12/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Garry,

Your B2 would definitely benefit from a software upgrade by fitting a new SD Card.

Also you need to check the WiFi signal at the B2 - use the front control to go to Settings >> Maintenance >> WiFi Strength.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Gary Knight

Dec 15, 2021, 7:16:23 AM12/15/21
to Brennan Forum

Hi Paul,
I bought a new dongle but the operation is the same I can get onto the wifi network but the upgrade is not possible to do via WiFi.
Meanwhile I have ordered the internal card with the upgrade. I also watched the video on dismantling the unit to replace the card.
All being well when the card arrives and the install is a success will I have to manually swap out the card for every future upgrade?
I may also look at getting an ethernet option as having this resource buried inside the unit is not very accessible and user friendly to my mind as plug and play looks like it's not easily possible.

Thanks,
Gary

Peter Lowham

Dec 15, 2021, 11:48:16 AM12/15/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gary,

When you fit the new microSD card into your B2 you will find that the 'Web Upgrade' function will now work as expected and you won't need to open the case again for further upgrades.  You should run 'Web Upgrade' on the new card because the B2B software will probably be slightly behind the most current version. This is due to the cards being held in stock for a few months.

The reason for your 'Web Upgrade' not working is that your B2 software version is so old that the automatic update cannot work.  The most recent major change to the software was made in late 2019, and the 'Web Upgrade' function has worked since then.

Regarding the ethernet option there are three possibilities for you to consider.

1.  Fit an ethernet cable directly into the B2 when you have the case open for the SD card replacement.

2.  Fit a short cat5 'extension tail' into the B2; this will enable future disconnections without opening the case (this is what I have done).

3.  Fit a USB to Cat5 adapter into the B2 and run the process below.
  • B2B can now install a driver for USB Ethernet adaptors - so you can plug a B2 into Ethernet without opening the box. Settings->Maintenance->Advanced->Get Ethernet will install the driver. Turn the B2 off and plug in the USB Ethernet adaptor and the B2 will use Ethernet and/or Wifi
Regards,
Peter.

Gary Knight

Jan 5, 2022, 10:18:42 AM1/5/22
to Brennan Forum

Hi,
Thanks for all your help.
I have managed to fit the new SD card. The software was September 2020. Then I managed to upgrade via wifi and now the software is October 2021.
Sonos and other menus showed up. I successfully played through the Sonos speaker. Does Spotify work with the BrennanB2? Or do I need a Chromecast Audio device or similar?\

Much appreciated,
Gary

fred.w....@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2022, 11:11:13 AM1/5/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Garry

Glad you are now sorted.
Re Spotify, While I do not use this myself, I believe it does work. You need to load (onto the B2 using the front panel and menu system) something called "Librespot"  from the Advance menu.
a.JPG
Hoe this helps
Fred

Davywhizz

Jan 5, 2022, 12:36:30 PM1/5/22
to Brennan Forum
The B2 works well with Spotify if you "get Librespot" (as above). You then use the Spotify app, which recognises the B2 as a Spotify Connect device.

Spotify overrides anything else the B2 is doing, so you need to disconnect it when you've finished. Just use the Spotify app to switch devices back to whatever you're using for the app.

I had a problem with playback stuttering the first time I used Spotify. It wasn't a B2 issue: it was solved by reinstalling the Spotify app on the tablet I was using.

Gary Knight

Jan 6, 2022, 2:22:49 PM1/6/22
to Brennan Forum
Thank you everyone for the feedback and advice.
I am going to attempt this tonight.
So far I am pleased that everything has been successful.
I didn't want to add a Chromecast Audio if I didn't have to as I've only got one running on my Sansui Au 101 amp and I'd rather leave it there.
Unfortunately Google no longer produce the Chromecast Audio I am not sure why as it is a very good product enabling old equipment to connect with new over WiFi.

Gary Knight

Jan 6, 2022, 3:16:45 PM1/6/22
to Brennan Forum
Very quick process and successfully working.
Much appreciated.

I'm going to order another inline switch not having an on off switch is mighty inconvenient.

Gary Knight

Jan 7, 2022, 6:07:20 AM1/7/22
to Brennan Forum
I've seen some switches that are inline that are 240v I am trying to work out why my second with has died?
It worked for a short while but will longer with on.

Any feedback much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Gary

JFBUK

Jan 7, 2022, 6:31:33 AM1/7/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gary,

I don't know whether a small switched extension might work for you ?
Not particularly elegant  or aesthetically pleasing :(

John

Screenshot 2022-01-07 113034.jpg

Gary Knight

Jan 7, 2022, 7:53:56 AM1/7/22
to Brennan Forum
Thank you that's a solution I may look into.
It's better than what I have at the moment.

PMB

Jan 9, 2022, 10:34:14 AM1/9/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi gar...,

I use one of these so I can switch the B2, the DAC and active speakers on-off at the same time.

Switched adpater.jpg

Paul
Brennan Support.