NAS Troubleshooting

Joseph Caputo

Aug 9, 2021, 4:01:01 PM8/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Question: Turned on NAS option, it's been more than 24 hours and I don't see the BrennanB2 in my Network. When the guide say, "it may take a while...," How long are we talking? I have 11891 tracks at the moment. I am able to see the files using the File Explorer app on my phone/tablet. Thanks in advance.

-JC

Peter Lowham

Aug 9, 2021, 4:13:20 PM8/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi JC,

If you can see the B2 music files from your phone/tablet then that means that NAS is running correctly on the B2.  It also means that the problem lies within the PC.  With Windows or Mac, the NAS access should be available within 30 minutes or less, typically 10 minutes or so.

Windows 10 may need some setup adjustments to enable it to work with NAS.  Let us know what version of Windows/MacOSX you are using.

Regards,
Peter.

Joseph Caputo

Aug 9, 2021, 4:27:21 PM8/9/21
to Brennan Forum
Solved! Digging into the forums found that I needed to turn on SMB 1.0/CIFS Client in Windows. It's an option found by running a command (using "Windows Key"+"R") Open: optionalfeatures. Go down the list and select SMB 1.0/CIFS Client. Restart PC and BrennanB2 should appear in Network. Use "root" and "brennan" to log in. Thanks!

Peter Lowham

Aug 10, 2021, 6:40:11 AM8/10/21
to Brennan Forum

Hi JC,

Good news!  One thing to be careful of is that SMB 1.0 is known to be insecure (remember the outbreak of an epidemic called WannaCry?) so you need to keep you antivirus up to date.  Microsoft disabled SMB 1.0 in Win 10 in mid 2020 because of this security risk.

Regards,
Peter.