Would be cool to find a B2 Backup & Service Tech company.

James Wyatt

Jun 13, 2020, 12:47:50 AM6/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Having my Brennan B2 for a few years now, I've noticed a few things.

Files sometimes won't play while clicking on the play button in the Web UI (any version). (Refresh Browser, or play previous & hit skip.), or the timing is off on the Web UI.
Can't get that Spotify feature to show up, after updating everything.
Worried that my extensive library might go POOF! sometime in the future. It's happened before. Wipe and start anew.
And today it got a little toasty and glitched on me. I shut it off to cool down.

It would be cool if I could send my B2 & some money to a Backup & Service Tech company to give my B2 a good going over.

Vacuum the dust bunnies, replace & flash the memory card, and duplicate the HD onto a new one as a backup, or even replace the one in there.

It would be nice to find it in my neck of the woods, but I would understand if I had to airmail it over the pond.

Less than $65us for a 2 TB external HD. $100us for parts, service & shipping seem fair?
Next year, just send the same HD back to get updated with newer music.

What do you think?

Davywhizz

Jun 13, 2020, 7:02:36 AM6/13/20
to Brennan Forum
Brennan does advertise out of warranty repairs at what seems like very reasonable cost: https://www.brennan.co.uk/itemcontent.php/content/B2Repairs

I would guess that many computer repair shops would tackle routine servicing as well. I've just found, without looking very hard, a couple of UK ones which mention it

I find it interesting that a lot of B2 owners seem to enjoy the occasional challenges and finding fixes for them. Even more interesting, if only to me, I think I've become one of those people. Before I got my B2 I wasn't sure, purely based on what I read, if it's a fully finished product or a work in progress. I went ahead because of the company's clear commitment to support and continuous improvement. So far, any issues I've had have been easily resolved, without the use of even a screwdriver, thanks to the excellent help available here. It's nice to be part of that, but I understand others may have a different experience.

Peter Lowham

Jun 13, 2020, 9:21:31 AM6/13/20
to Brennan Forum
James,

With reference to Librespot, what is the exact version of software is your B2 running on?

Have you backed up your music collection to a USB backup device using the 'Export' function?  This is VERY important.  The B2 is a computer and, like any computer, can fail at any time. The HDD is a mechanical device and is the most likely part to fail.

What size is your collection?  I can give you an expected backup time using this figure.  Is your B2 the earlier model with the SD card protruding out of the side of the case?

Regards,
Peter.

PMB

Jun 15, 2020, 3:49:50 AM6/15/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi James,

Please check the software version your B2 is running, it needs to be B2B Jun 2 2020.

Paul
Brennan Support.

James Wyatt

Jun 15, 2020, 10:15:31 AM6/15/20
to Brennan Forum
Software Version B2 Jun 2 2020 08:02:14

Peter Lowham

Jun 15, 2020, 12:12:53 PM6/15/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi James,

The problem that you are having with not being able to play Spotify is that you need to be on software version B2B June 2 2020. This version has a much upgraded Bluetooth stack.

The B2 June 2 2020 version does not have the Bluetooth stack that is required to connect to Spotify.

If you go to the Brennan website you will find guidance there for upgrading your B2 software to this version. This will require a rebuild of your (micro)SD card. Let us know if you want to go through the rebuild procedure as I have a summarised version of the rebuild process which looks less daunting that the website instructions.

Regards,
Peter.