Most tracks not appearing in B2

David

Mar 4, 2022, 9:13:56 AM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
After expanding my B2 library considerably over the past two years with no technical problems, suddenly about 75% of my tracks are not appearing. Unfortunately, my most recent backup isn't recent enough. Is there another solution?

Software Version B2B Oct 22 2021 12:29:15
158376 tracks in 6743 albums 173 artists
0 WAV 38510 FLAC 0 MP3 127 AAC
Capacity 2000.00G Used 1572.03Gb
USB 0 tracks in 0 albums 0 artists
0 Youtubes

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2022, 9:26:24 AM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Just to check

Presumably you HAVE run a "Scan Disk" just before this?

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2022, 9:30:30 AM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
If NOT please do one then look at the statistics again.

Also it may be a good idea to turn on the B2's NAS function and look at the B2's music directories from a PC or Mac.

The B2 is good at looking after your music holdings - barring a disk hardware issue I would be surprised if it had lost any music.

Fred

David

Mar 4, 2022, 9:30:33 AM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
I have not run a scan disk. I've simply been scanning CDs to a USB in FLAC format on my computer, then importing from C on the B2. Could a disk scan potentially solve this? Thanks, Fred.

David

Mar 4, 2022, 9:32:26 AM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
(I checked the statistics again... same as before.)

Peter Lowham

Mar 4, 2022, 9:35:53 AM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

If Fred's suggested 'Scan Disk doesn't sort out the problem then we might be able to help through the process listed below.

First, do you know approximately how many tracks or albums there should be in the B2?

The B2 music management centres around a file in the B2 named 'b2db'. The B2 builds and maintains this file throughout all of its processes such as ripping, compression, renaming, deletion, playing, etc.  It would be very helpful if we could look at your file, as it would give us a good indication as to how the B2 'sees' your collection.

If you would like to do this, here are the steps involved.

1.  Insert a USB stick into the B2's USB C port (the stick only needs to be small volume as the file will only be about 1.5MB).
2.  Format the stick to FAT32 if not already done.
3.  From the B2 front panel, select and run 'Settings' --> 'Maintenance' --> 'b2db to USB'   (this is a text file so can be read by any text editor).
4.  Plug the USB stick into your PC/MAC.
5.  Select and upload the file 'b2db' into this thread.

We can then examine the file and let you know something more of what is happening.

Regards,
Peter.

David

Mar 4, 2022, 10:51:53 AM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Thank you very much, Peter and Fred. I'm relieved to say that a simple disc scan resolved the problem (new detail below). I speak with someone with minimal tech knowledge, but one thing that may have thrown this off was a track with a ridiculously long title? In this case, a medley with about a dozen songs, all listed. The first thing I did once everything was restored was to abbreviate that title. I know this has been a factor for me with past problems.

(Separate to this happy solution, I looked into the NAS function Fred suggested, but unfortunately the B2 doesn't appear in my network directory, despite it being on the same wifi network as my PC. I see my Roku TVs but no Brennan... and yes, I made sure it was turned on and connected to the same network.)

Software Version B2B Oct 22 2021 12:29:15

119358 tracks in 6745 albums 1133 artists

0 WAV 119035 FLAC 0 MP3 323 AAC

David

Mar 4, 2022, 11:00:53 AM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
(Oops... I meant to say "I speak AS someone with minimal tech knowledge." Grateful to all the helpful, music-loving techies out there.)

JFBUK

Mar 4, 2022, 11:24:03 AM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

Paul from Brennan put together this for NAS connection

John

NAS mode using a Windows 10 computer:

On the B2:

Make sure the B2 is connected to WiFi - displaying an IP Address - something like 192.168.1.127

Using the front control go to the Maintenance menu and select Start NAS - the display will return to the clock and then show 'done' after a couple of seconds.

On your Win10 computer:

This stage only required if the B2 doesn't show in 'View network computers and devices' (see the next stage)

In the 'Type here to search' box type - Turn Windows features on and off (you don't have to type all of this as you will be prompted by the computer).

Click on 'Turn Windows features on and off'

Scroll down to 'SMB1.0/CIFS File sharing support' and expand the section - click on the '+' box

Select the second item - SMB1.0/CIFS Client - it may already be selected so no need to select again

Click on OK.

On the Win10 computer:

In the 'Type here to search' box type View network computers and devices

Click on 'View network computers and Devices'

BRENNANB2 should be displayed on the 'computer' line - if not wait a while (it can take a while to show the first time) and try refreshing the 'View network....' page.

Double click on BRENNANB2 - a pop up panel will open

Enter user name = root

Enter password = brennan and click on OK

The B2's 'music' folder will be shown - double click to open it - this can take a while as the computer needs to load all of the files on the B2's HDD.

Once loaded a list of Artist folders will be shown

Double clicking on an Artist folder will show the Album folder/s associated with the Artist

Double clicking any Album folder will show the Tracks and Album Artworks

You can then edit these folders and files as you would any folders/files on your computer e.g. create new folders, copy and paste, cut and paste, rename, delete, etc.

You can also copy music from your computer (iTunes, etc) to the B2 whilst in NAS mode - make sure you maintain the correct Artist - Album - Track folder format so the music is correctly displayed on the B2.

Please note - any changes you make on the computer are local to the computer and must be transferred to the B2 by running Scan Disk - Settings menu - on the B2. If you leave the computer session without running Scan Disk, any changes will be lost.

Peter Lowham

Mar 4, 2022, 11:41:04 AM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

I plugged your latest stats into my 'Brennan Estimator' spreadsheet and have noticed a potential problem that you might crash into shortly.  That is that one of your B2's internal database data tables, specifically the 'Trackname' table might be almost full.  When this fills up, you will see a 'Code 1' error appear on the front panel display and the B2 will cease to function again.

Even though I have your latest stats, my estimator uses some guestimate figures for this calculation.   If you post you latest 'b2db' file as an attachment into this thread then I can get a set of exact table sizes and give you a precise reading of the situation.

I'm not normally a harbinger of doom, but if you hit the 'Code 1' problem it could be tricky to recover from it!

Regards,
Peter.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2022, 12:08:59 PM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

Given Peter's warning (he is the Forum's Guru in these matters!)  in your shoes I would stop ripping CD's until you either know if you are near the limit and or until Martin Brennan extends the table limits.

Fred

David

Mar 4, 2022, 12:34:47 PM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Thank you John, Peter and Fred. How do I locate my latest 'b2db' file? There's not an option to export it to USB under the USB Functions menu.

David

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2022, 12:41:31 PM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
It is under the maintenance menu "b2db to USB C"

Fred

Peter Lowham

David

Mar 4, 2022, 12:52:41 PM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Thank you, Fred. The file is attached here, Peter.
b2db

Peter Lowham

Mar 4, 2022, 1:09:33 PM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

Got it and I'll have a look now.

Regards,
Peter.

Peter Lowham

Mar 4, 2022, 3:15:03 PM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

The news is good; you are not near any of the limits after all.  I was assuming that your collection was mainly classical, where track names are typically very long (typically averaging 65 characters), but your collection's track names are averaging about 31 characters, so all is well!

I have attached two screenshots which show your B2's current situation.  But you are not near any of these limits so you are safe to continue with your ripping.

 Regards,
Peter.
SS2_Mem_Diag.JPG
SS1_Status_Diag.JPG

David

Mar 4, 2022, 5:17:35 PM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
That's wonderful news, Peter... I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to review this. Another weekend of ripping ahead then, and also an overdue backup. Thank you!

Peter Lowham

Mar 4, 2022, 6:02:42 PM3/4/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi David,

No problem, I'm glad to be able to deliver some good news!  But get that Export backup done!!

If you post your latest stats (example as shown below) just to confirm your current situation then all should be well.

Software Version B2B Oct 22 2021 12:29:15
158376 tracks in 6743 albums 173 artists
0 WAV 38510 FLAC 0 MP3 127 AAC

Capacity 2000.00G Used 1572.03Gb
USB 0 tracks in 0 albums 0 artists
0 Youtubes

Regards,
Peter.

Todd Lefkowitz

Mar 5, 2022, 8:38:02 PM3/5/22
to Brennan Forum
Great tutorial on  NAS function.  It has helped enormously in organizing my files...many thanks
Todd

PMB

Mar 7, 2022, 3:58:20 AM3/7/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

I understand that the Track name memory space has been increased in the 'Experimental' version software, so will be included in the general release, when it comes.

Paul
Brennan Support.