Streaming from NAS on B2

Gil Hamlin

Sep 15, 2020, 2:38:20 PM9/15/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi,

I feel that this is the type of question that's probably been asked before, but I honestly cannot find an answer to this and have spent a good couple of hours reading through the B2 website and various forums.

I have a server that I use to hold all of my vinyl rips. It'll speak to just about anything over smb. Can I use the B2 to playback these vinyl rips, or would I need to look at a different device?

Thank you!

Mark Fishman

Sep 15, 2020, 7:36:01 PM9/15/20
to Brennan Forum
To the best of my knowledge, the B2 can share its own drive so that other devices (e.g., computers) can see its music directory, but cannot mount or map a drive from another device that happens to be on the same network. Out, in other words, but not in.

The description of what you want to do sounds like a Sonos system -- which can play music from any network-attached storage that supports SMB version 1 -- or something similar would be a more likely bet. The Brennan devices are really meant for playing back music stored on their own internal drives.

I hope that helps -- m.