New guy problems

Ian Savage

Mar 18, 2021, 5:57:30 AM3/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Just got my BB1

I have accessed the Web UI on my Macbook, with the App on my iphone and also with an android device.  I can get DAB radio and have set my presets, which is cool.

I did manage to rip a CD too, but with no recognition.  I have bought the BB1 to store all my CDs, and will not name them all manually.

Also, I can not get the You Tube search to work either.......

So I currently have a £200 DAB radio, and my wife is giving me loads of grief.

Any tips appreciated.
Message has been deleted

Peter Lowham

Mar 18, 2021, 6:52:40 AM3/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi All,

@ Daniel; Ian's issues are with a BB1 so there is no WiFi dongle involved.  Ian is picking up the internet radio channels so the BB1's WiFi connection is probably OK.

@ Ian;  can you check which version of software your BB1 is running on.  Go to 'Main Menu' --> 'Settings & Tools' --> 'Stats' and look at the line 'Version BB1 ........'

If this is not 'BB1 Mar 9 20201' then I would go to 'Main Menu' --> 'Settings & Tools' --> 'Maintenance'  --> "Web Upgrade' and click on this.

Then see if your situation improves.

Regards,
Peter.

On Thursday, 18 March 2021 at 10:16:35 UTC Daniel Taylor wrote:
Check your WiFi signal strength using Settings > Maintenance > WiFi Strength.  (I got that from the Brennan website on the Menu page.)
Your signal strength should be better than -50 (-40 being better, -60 being worse) and not fluctuate wildly.
To improve your signal strength, try the following:
Move your B2 closer to your router.
Switch the WiFi dongle to USB C.
Move your WiFi dongle to the end of a USB extension cable.
You can buy a new WiFi dongle that has an antenna.  Look for one that has the RT5370 chipset.
If none of that helps, you could try plugging a network cable between the inside back of the B2 and your router (and remove the WiFi dongle).  There is a picture showing that on the Brennan website.

Small nit to pick:  the Brennan units do not receive DAB radio broadcasts.  DAB is broadcast over the air.  The Brennan units receive internet radio, which is not strictly speaking "radio" at all, as there are no radio waves involved, but everyone calls it that anyway.

Ian Savage

Mar 18, 2021, 9:52:19 AM3/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Peter,

My BB1 was indeed only on Oct 14 2019 version!  I now have ripped some CDs.  About 50% of those I tried to rip were recognised, even had cover art.  Is there a way to get tracklistings for non-recognised CDs?

Thanks again,
Ian

lesli...@hotmail.com

Mar 18, 2021, 9:52:37 AM3/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,
I am also a BB1 (and B2) newbie. I wish you well with the BB1. I am enjoying getting to grips with it (love the product) as well as the B2, which is differently taxing! So far I am not getting the other half grief, but I have to limit the amount of time I spend sorting these products out...

Regarding the Youtube search, I had the same issue (march 3 thread on this Forum). I found that if you don't use the search first time, but copy and paste a YouTube url into the search function, it seems to kick start it and your next search using key words then goes ahead. Another Forum member also found that did the trick.

Do persevere!
Leslie

Ian Savage

Mar 18, 2021, 10:10:40 AM3/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Leslie,
Thanks for the encouragement!  I have tried your fix to no avail, unfortunately! I've now managed to rip a few CDs which is great, although a few aren't recognised and a few fail to find cover art.  I have tried to drag and drop covers, but with no joy yet......

Cheers
Ian

lesli...@hotmail.com

Mar 18, 2021, 10:29:15 AM3/18/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,
Sorry to hear that the YoUTube suggestion didn't work. How oddly idiosyncratic... Maybe Paul at Brennan Support or another member can offer a view.
I did this on the BB1 webui on my laptop, rather than my android phone. I have yet to get to grips with the latter. Cover art seems OK for all of the albums I've tried so far, but I have yet to get into the darker more obscure recesses of my collection. I hope I will be able to import my own scanned / saved jpegs of cover art if needs be....

Glad you've got some CD traction! I'm still grappling with (sorry 'exploring') the product(s) and options. I've uploaded individual albums from my master HD MP3 store, but have yet to make bulk upload work.

This Forum is a great resource for problem solving and support.
Leslie

PMB

Mar 19, 2021, 7:12:13 AM3/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian and Leslie,

We use the CD Database from MusicBrainz to find titles - have a look on their site - www.musicbrainz.org - to see if any of the unrecognised CDs are listed. Let me know what you find.

Paul
Brennan Support.

PMB

Mar 19, 2021, 7:20:36 AM3/19/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

YouTube is working on my BB1 this morning OK - currently listening to 'The Gathering Light' by Karnataka.

Try a Web Upgrade (Maintenance menu) if you haven't already done so. Then try using the web UI directly on your device (laptop, tablet, phone) by opening a browser page (Chrome, Safari, etc) and typing the IP Address shown on the BB1 into the address line of the browser (to the right of the padlock for Chrome).

Do a YouTube search using the web UI.

Paul
Brennan Support.