External CD drive issues

Aston Rum

Oct 4, 2021, 7:43:12 AM10/4/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi, I'm new to Brennan B2, and am having issues with  the external CD drive. Originally when I set it up, it worked fine. I ripped around 50  discs without issue. I then started to notice that is wouldn't always boot up correctly. and from being 1 in 3 failures, this progressed to it never being detected. I also noted that the internal drive won't always read them everytime, and sometimes states CD empty even when it isn't, but that seems a temperamental intermittent issue, and it has been behaving better over the last couple of days. The unit is only about three months old.

I re- booted, and re- set the  CD in both the internal drive, and then again with the external unit plugged in, but to no avail. The drive is a non apple product, and as it worked previously cannot think it is a compatibility issue. Also, as an aside, I find the Random play mode definitely gives preference to certain artist and tracks... a bit like ERNIE is meant to be entirely non biased! Anyone else think that, or am I just imagining it???

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

PMB

Oct 5, 2021, 4:20:55 AM10/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Davide,

If you have tried 'Reset CD' (Advanced menu) with the external CD Drive connected and disconnected and it hasn't improved things try powering down the B2 and moving the external CD Drive to the other USB port.

You should also do a Web Upgrade - Settings menu - to make sure the B2 is running the latest software.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Aston Rum

Oct 5, 2021, 7:18:24 AM10/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,

 Thanks for your prompt response. I appear to have solved the issue at the moment by trying a new external drive, ( A £9.99 one from ebay) . It read that perfectly, and I am currently ripping the next batch of my CD collection. I had already uploaded the new software, and in relation to that, the only visible difference is that it now displays a " DB lookup" message between loading and the title displaying, which it didn't do before.  I will continue with the new drive and hope things stay stable. The only thing that I wondered was that I did unplug the original external drive and use it on my laptop to show a photo library on CD. Could that have upset the formatting, hence not reading it when plugged back in? I will keep this new drive as B2 only in case.....  Thanks again. It is very comforting to have this forum and your technical back up available!

fred.w....@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2021, 9:09:29 AM10/5/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Davide,
Using the CD USB drive on another computer should not hurt it, that's what USB is for!

On another matter I hope you are making a good backup (Export to USB A or C)  as you go along, not doing so may result in tears and much gnashing of teeth! 😬
Fred

Aston Rum

Oct 5, 2021, 10:25:31 AM10/5/21
to Brennan Forum

Hi Fred,

 Yes absolutely, but can't think why else it would have failed on the original drive. I haven't started a back up yet as need to order a dedicated hard drive for it. Is there a preference for what make /size I should purchase?

Thanks

PMB

Oct 6, 2021, 5:46:44 AM10/6/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Davide...,

The backup HDD/SSD should be a similar size or bigger (in memory terms) to the drive in your B2 ideally. I use a Toshiba Canvio Basics USB 3.0 1TB HDD and know the 2TB model also works well with the B2. But any portable type USB HDD or SSD drive will be OK.

As has often been said on the Forum stay clear of large capacity - typically 1TB and 2TB - USB memory sticks as there are many fakes ones being sold on Amazon, eBay and others.

Paul
Brennan Support.