SD Card and HDD

Gary M

Oct 22, 2021, 11:11:21 AM10/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Is there a way to check the size of the SD card and how much space is left on the card? Also, does music you import from a flash drive automatically go to the SD card and is there a way to put it on the HDD?

Daniel Taylor

Oct 22, 2021, 1:40:12 PM10/22/21
to Brennan Forum
I will try to answer your questions at face value.  But you might find it helpful to tell us what your end goal is that caused you to ask your questions.

Although I don't know for certain, I think this is what you'd do to find out how much space is available on the SD card:
Run the Use SD command (Maintenance menu).  I think the B2 will reboot.  Then the music source will be the SD card.
Run the Scan Disk command (Settings menu).
Check the status.  I forget how to do this with the remote - I think you press the Info button until the desired status line comes up on the display.  Or you can check the status in the WebUI.
After you get the info you want, be sure to run the Use HDD command (Maintenance menu) to get the music source back to the HDD normal.
If you have any questions about the status info that is displayed, post it here and we'll see what it means.

The music you Import from a flash drive normally goes to the HDD.  But as indicated above, that can be switched to the SD card if you really want to, but it's not the normal way it works.  The SD card is where the analog recordings go - temporarily - before they're transferred to the HDD.

If you have a need for more space on the SD card, the card can be replaced with a larger one, and the Brennan operating software can be loaded onto it before you use it to replace the existing SD card.  We can advise further if that's what you want.

Peter Lowham

Oct 22, 2021, 1:43:42 PM10/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Gary,

To answer your second query first, when you import music from a flash drive, this music is usually automatically written to the HDD.  That is when the front panel displays 'Source: HDD' which is the normal setting.  If the 'Source: SD' is selected (not normally set) then the imported music will be written to the SD card.

For your first query, there is not an easy way to find this out.  However, if you have a PC, there is a way of finding this information.  This is done by downloading an app called 'putty' and installing it on the PC.  This app will give you a 'backdoor' access to the B2 at the O/S level, from where you can find the information that you require.

If you want to try this method then let us know here and we can offer advice on how to run 'putty'.

Regards,
Peter.

Daniel Taylor

Oct 22, 2021, 1:51:41 PM10/22/21
to Brennan Forum
From what Peter has just said, I'm doubting my method of checking the SD card.  It might be worth a try, but you'll get more dependable results if you follow what Peter is saying.

Peter Lowham

Oct 22, 2021, 2:15:10 PM10/22/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel,

Your suggested method will provide some information and is worth running as it is easy to run.  But the results will have limited value especially in a situation where the SD card space is low.

The 'putty' method will give accurate results in all circumstances.

Regards,
Peter.