File Compression

james...@btinternet.com

Oct 17, 2020, 9:34:45 AM10/17/20
to Brennan Forum
M y data is:-
Software Version B2 Jun 2 2020 08:02:14

19666 tracks in 1166 albums 272 artists

19 WAV 5674 FLAC 13771 MP3 202 AAC

Capacity 2000.00G Used 223.83Gb

USB 0 tracks in 0 albums 0 artists

58 Youtubes

is it possible to convert MP3 / AAC / WAV to FLAC?

OR

All files to MP3?

OR

should I just leave as is?

Daniel Taylor

Oct 17, 2020, 10:08:35 AM10/17/20
to Brennan Forum
There is no point to convert MP3 files to FLAC.  You will not restore any of the lost data, you will only end up with larger files.

It would be good to convert WAV to FLAC.  The FLAC files will be smaller than the WAV files, and there will be no information lost.

Given your current situation, I would leave the FLAC and MP3 files as they are.  However, I would try to find a way to convert the WAV files to FLAC.  If the B2 is stuck and cannot convert those 19 WAV files, copy them to a USB disk and do the conversion on your computer.

Davywhizz

Oct 17, 2020, 10:19:23 AM10/17/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi James

There's a lot in your question and others will no doubt add more detail. The first thing is to think of FLAC like a zip file for a document. It's a "lossless" form of compression that fits a track into a smaller space, to save storage capacity, while allowing playback at the original quality. Whilst there are ways to convert mp3 to FLAC, that won't restore the musical data taken out to create the mp3.

This summer Brennan added to the B2 software a way of compressing ripped WAV files to both FLAC and mp3 versions. Maybe that's your solution, but I've never tried it: others here will tell you all you need to know.

PMB

Oct 18, 2020, 12:04:18 PM10/18/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi James,

Try searching online for software to convert between the various formats.

I have a mix of FLAC, MP3 and AAC tracks on my B2 and on general, background playback, I don't notice much difference between them.

Paul
Brennan Support

james...@btinternet.com

Oct 18, 2020, 3:16:46 PM10/18/20
to Brennan Forum
Thanks for replies. The sound quality is good enough for my 75 Year Old ears, I was thinking longer term and trying to save HD space. I will leave as is.

Thanks ............ James