Cambridge DAC comparison

Perplexed Paul

Aug 14, 2020, 5:04:14 AM8/14/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi all,
I hope that you are all keeping well?
I have a question regarding Cambridge DACs.
Has anybody got experience of using a DACMagic 100 compared to a DACMagic plus with a B2?
If so, is there a significant improvement in sound?
Has anybody got any other DAC recommendations around the £300 mark?
Many thanks in advance!
Paul

Daniel Taylor

Aug 14, 2020, 8:00:10 AM8/14/20
to Brennan Forum
The Chord Qutest, at £380 ($499), is quite well thought of.

I have not heard any of those DACs.  I have not taught myself to recognize and appreciate the small differences among such equipment.  So far, I've been successful in fighting off the urge to become an audiophile.  As long as my equipment does not distract me from the music, I'm good.

Davywhizz

Aug 14, 2020, 8:25:19 AM8/14/20
to Brennan Forum
I have a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic XS, which is no use for a B2 as it only takes a USB input. However, I can confirm the quality and excellent value for money. No doubt their more expensive DACs are even better.I got it to bypass my laptop sound card and heaphone socket for playing digital files. The improvement in audio quality is huge and it also works as a headphone amplifier.

PMB

Aug 15, 2020, 6:09:39 AM8/15/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi P.Paul,

It looks like the DAC Magic 100 would be a good match for the B2 - unless you need the extra digital inputs provided by the 'Plus'.

Paul
Brennan Support.

marcus

Aug 16, 2020, 5:28:05 AM8/16/20
to Brennan Forum
hi pPaul.

i have both.  the plus at home as headphone amp.  the 100 at my studio with a 4-channel amp for two pairs of loudspeaker.  i'm satisfied.  but be aware: the digital out of the B2 is limited to 16-bit and 44,1 kHz by design.  ... and altering the volume via UI is not enabled on digital out.

ober!schöne grüße,
marcus.

PMB

Aug 16, 2020, 6:20:48 AM8/16/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Marcus,

PPaul was asking if there is any difference in audio quality/sound between the 100 and the Plus. Can you comment on that?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Robin Harding

Aug 16, 2020, 5:56:26 PM8/16/20
to Brennan Forum
The dac is the same so audio quality should be the same.
The main advantage of the plus model are more inputs so you can link other bits of kit
ATB
Robin

marcus

Aug 17, 2020, 6:44:50 AM8/17/20
to Brennan Forum
hi.

the DACs differ in fact.  you have a wolfson WM8742 in the DACmagic 100 and two wolfson WM8740 in the DACmagic plus.  but to be honest i never checked, if i hear any difference between them.  the 100 is less than half the price of the plus and i definitely do not need the headphone amp and all the other connectors at my studio.  the 100 fits perfect for my needs here and doesn't sound much cheaper or smaller than my plus at home.  but different places, different spaces, different sources, different amps, different speakers ... who knows?!  one should ask his most trusted local audio dealer to set something up for a small test.  i wouldn't expect much difference too.  as i wrote before i'm happy with the DACmagic 100.

ober!schöne grüße,
marcus.