Refusal to Format Backup Drive

Mark Bernstein

May 13, 2021, 11:46:58 PM5/13/21
to Brennan Forum
Repeated attempts to format my LaCie drive have failed and the B2 now will neither recognize the existence of the dive or format so it is recognized for backup purposes...Any Thoughts or Ideas?  Thanks

PMB

May 14, 2021, 5:17:55 AM5/14/21
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mark,

Please see this post by Peter Lowham -

The problem with the JB7 not recognising the external USB HDD might be that the HDD has been partitioned as a 'GPT' type partition instead of 'MBR' type partition.  Either of these partition types can then be formatted to 'FAT32' but the Brennans (JB7, B2 & BB1 models) will only recognise the 'MBR' type partition.

Re-formatting the disk is similar to partitioning the disk but, in basic terms,  partitioning has an extra step over formatting which is relatively simple to execute once you know what you are looking at.

To perform a full 'partitioning and format' of the HDD, the format app should first ask you for the 'Partition Type' or 'Partition Style', with the options shown as 'MBR (Master Boot Record' or 'GPT (GUID Partition Table).  Select the 'MBR' option.

After 'MBR' is selected, the next option that the app will ask is for 'File System' with various options offered such as 'FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, exFAT and some others.  Select 'FAT32'.

You will also possibly be asked for 'Allocation Unit Size'.  Select this at 'Default' or if this is not offered then select something like '32K' or '16K'.

Then after the format is complete plug the HDD unit into the JB7 and check to see if the JB7 now recognises the external USB HDD.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Peter Lowham

May 14, 2021, 6:40:08 AM5/14/21
to Brennan Forum

Hi Paul and others,

I have just noticed a serious typo in my original message and that is the line second from the bottom should read:

You will also possibly be asked for 'Allocation Unit Size'.  Select this at 'Default' or if this is not offered then select something like '32K' or '64K'.

I'll correct the original ASAP.

Regards,
Peter.