Backing-up , after loading cd's.

Ian Barber

Jan 9, 2022, 11:45:40 AM1/9/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Guys,

I restrict my  ripping to between 25 and 30 cd's at a time, as was recommended on here some time ago. This usually equates to between 300 and 550 tracks per ripping session.
I backup the B2 2TB to external HD immediately after the compressing has stopped( at least I try to leave it at least 5 mins )before connecting my backup HD to the USB C port. Now, should I wait until the B2 has loaded the contents of the backup drive( which it seems to do whenever I connect it to USB ) before accessing the 'download to USB' menu and starting the backup ? Or should I,in preference, switch the B2 off, connect the backup drive , then switch it back on etc,etc, please ?
Many thanks

Cheers

Ian

Peter Lowham

Jan 9, 2022, 1:51:13 PM1/9/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Ian,

I power the B2 down, then plug in the backup USB drive, then power the B2 up and wait for the USB drive to be fully read before starting  the 'Export' backup.  It's all part of my approach of treating the B2 carefully and it will run without problems!

Regards,
Peter.

Ian Barber

Jan 9, 2022, 4:54:47 PM1/9/22
to Brennan Forum
Thanks Peter, much appreciated.
Cheers

Ian

Daniel Taylor

Jan 9, 2022, 5:22:24 PM1/9/22
to Brennan Forum
I had never thought to let the B2 finish reading the backup drive before starting the next incremental Export.  <head slap>
Thanks for the excellent tip, Peter.

Peter Lowham

Jan 10, 2022, 6:29:07 AM1/10/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel,

Working on the B2 while the USB drive is being read or interrupting it SHOULD NOT cause a problem because the B2 is only reading the USB drive, but it is part of my practice to treat the B2 carefully.  I think that that is one of the reasons that I have a very trouble-free set of B2s and BB1s (2 x B2 in UK, 1 x B2 in USA and 2 x BB1) and all are working very well.

Regards,
Peter.