Can't download UI

Jim Parr

Mar 16, 2022, 9:12:34 AM3/16/22
to Brennan Forum
Hello everyone,

I am a new Brennan owner. I've got it online and I've had partial success connecting it to the Sonos - I'll probably need to ask a separate question about that. My immediate problem is that I cant get the UI on either my phone or my laptop. On laptop it says the page was too slow to respond, on phone it tells me to connect to the internet, though I have a perfectly good connection.
I'd be grateful for any help, preferably in simple terms since I am little better than half-witted with technology.

Jim

Daniel Taylor

Mar 16, 2022, 9:49:59 AM3/16/22
to Brennan Forum
The first thing I would check is your WiFi signal strength.
Check your WiFi signal strength using Settings > Maintenance > WiFi Strength.  (I got that from the Brennan website on the Menu page.)
Your signal strength should be better than -50 (-40 being better, -60 being worse) and not fluctuate wildly.
To improve your signal strength, try the following:
Move your B2 closer to your router.
Switch the WiFi dongle to USB C.
Move your WiFi dongle to the end of a USB extension cable.
You can buy a new WiFi dongle that has an antenna.  Look for one that has the RT5370 chipset.
If none of that helps, you could try plugging a network cable between the inside back of the B2 and your router (and remove the WiFi dongle).

Daniel Taylor

Mar 16, 2022, 4:30:05 PM3/16/22
to Brennan Forum
I just found this message from Jim in my private email:
"Thanks. Signal strength is - 35 which I take it is OK. But I'm not sure it's a signal strength problem? Putting the IP address to the browser (s) just doesn't seem to work.
Jim"
Please post your comments here in the forum so that all can contribute or benefit.  Click the "Reply all" button on the bottom of the page.

What is the IP address of your B2 and what are the IP addresses of your phone and laptop?  In order for devices to talk to one another on the local area network, their IP addresses must have the first three numbers in common.

Unfortunately, that is about the extent of my ability to help on this problem.  There are others who know more about network stuff.

Daniel Taylor

Mar 16, 2022, 4:30:38 PM3/16/22
to Brennan Forum
Oh.  Yes.  -35 is a pretty good signal.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2022, 5:05:24 PM3/16/22
to Brennan Forum
To test the B2's connection to WiFi and the Internet, as a first stage to diagnosing the problem, please use the front controls to play any Internet radio station.

Fred

PMB

Mar 17, 2022, 4:48:46 AM3/17/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jim,

What browser (Chrome, Edge, Safari, etc) are you using?

Are you using just the number part of the IP e.g. 192.168.1.127?

Have you tried adding  http://
IP Address - web UI.jpg

Paul
Brennan Support.

Jim Parr

Mar 17, 2022, 6:44:34 AM3/17/22
to Brennan Forum
HI Paul,
I'm using Edge. Yes, I've tried adding http://. Thyanks for your help.
Jim

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2022, 8:15:18 AM3/17/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jim,

We do need to confirm that your B2 can indeed see the Internet.
At first without the complication of the Web UI.
If you can use the front control panel (screen and Round knob) to get the B2 to play some internet radio - this will confirm that from the B2 side, it is set up OK.
here is the selection
a.JPG
you need to make. Just choose one of the presets (they are pre-populated).

Also regarding your House WiFi/Router, what sot of system do you have - is it a mesh?

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2022, 8:22:15 AM3/17/22
to Brennan Forum
You should also understand that the B2 is a passive device on your home network - in other words - it does not reach out and make a connection to your Phone/Tablet/PC,  it is the job of your House's ROUTER to make the connection to it.
The radio test will confirm if the B2 has a proper connection to the ROUTER (and on to the internet). If it has (as I said it is passive in this)  then if you can not connect to it the problem lies with your house ROUTER configuration, not the B2.

Fred

Jim Parr

Mar 18, 2022, 5:41:16 AM3/18/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi everyone,
Thank you all for your help. I've no real idea how I did it, but the UI has now successfully downloaded on all my devices
, I am connected to the Sonos and all seems well. Interestingly, the internet connection had dropped off and I had to re-attach it (or whatever the proper term is), but I found that out after it all started working. Anyway, I'm enjoying it and I'm grateful to you all.
Something tells me  though that you will be hearing more from me!

Jim

fred.w....@gmail.com

Mar 18, 2022, 6:11:11 AM3/18/22
to Brennan Forum
Hi Jim,

Glad you are now working - but it is worrying that it just "happened" and you do not know why!
One point though. You need to adjust your thinking about the Brennan Web UI. It is NOT "downloaded" it is a web page serviced by the B2, - your devices are going to the B2 where it is dynamically generated to see it each time you use it.

Fred