B2 Keeps Freezing

Mark Lambourne

Nov 22, 2020, 2:58:01 PM11/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Yesterday I upgraded the software using Web Update. The B2now freezes at various points and does not respond to anything other that stopping and starting the unit. Also for the past 18 months the B2 on the network in Windows 10 File Explorer. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2020, 4:16:58 PM11/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mark

Looks as though the web upgrade did not "take" properly. If you can get to that point try doing it again and see if that cures the problem.

If not see Peter's recipe below
The two options are (1) purchase a new 'ready to use' card from Brennan or (2) go through the 'SD card rebuild' procedure using your existing SD card (if its only corrupted it should rebuild OK).

The SD card rebuild process is reasonably straight-forward to do, although it looks a bit scary when you look at the instructions.  Below is a link to those instructions. Look in the left hand panel of the webpage and scroll down to 'New SD Card'.

There are two download links in that webpage; one for 'balenaEtcher' which is the software app that performs the re-flashing of the SD card.  The other file is 'B2BNOV2019.zip' file and is the B2 SD card image file .  These are all you need to rebuild your (micro)SD card.

I have boiled the instructions down into a series of summary steps which might be of help to you. I can post them here if you want to do the rebuild process.

You will need a USB to (micro)SD card adapter if your PC/Mac doesn't have one fitted.

Does your B2 have an SD card (that protrudes out of the B2 casing) or a microSD card (contained totally inside the B2 casing)?

Regards,
Peter.
Post back to this forum if you need step by step help

--------------------------------------
Regarding "Also for the past 18 months the B2 on the network in Windows 10 File Explorer" Do you mean you could see its music content using Windows 10 File Explorer but can't now? if so then make sure NAS is enabled using the B2 front panel options.
If NAS is enabled then the problem is with Windows 10 and there are some hints in this forum as to how to correct this. Again come back and ask for help.

Regards

Fred

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2020, 6:17:48 PM11/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Mark replied to me personally as See below (Mark, so others on this forum can join in to help you please reply from withing the forum so all can see the "thread")

Hi Fred,

Regarding the B2 freezing I have already tried rebuilding the SD card, but still get the same problem.

With regards the NAS issue, NAS is switched on so it must be a Windows 10 problem. If you can point me at the hints in the forum I would be grateful.

Regards,

Mark

Brian R

Nov 22, 2020, 6:35:40 PM11/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Could this be an overheating problem?  Does the B2 have free space around it and nothing covering the top vent?
Brian

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2020, 6:46:46 PM11/22/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mark, you obviously know you way round computers therefore I would suggest we

1) remove the Wifi dongle and see if you can drive the B2 from the Front control OK.   (why - because sometimes WiFi issues can cripple the B2)
2) Try build a B2 SD card using a new or different card ( why because SD cards can go bad) - what is the state of the red and green lights when it freezes?

Regarding The NAS issue

It MAy be because Microsoft made changes in Windows 10 in mid-2019 to the way that NAS functionality is delivered.  Namely M/S switched off a feature called 'smb1.0' (which is one of the NAS implementations) because that version is a security risk.

However, have a look at this Forum thread.

Fred

Mark Lambourne

Nov 23, 2020, 8:49:29 AM11/23/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Fred,

Given that I have tried rebuild the SD card several times I think I will opt for getting a new SD card and trying again. I do not think heat is an issue as the unit is on a shelve by itself.

I did remove the Wifi USB and that seems to have helped.

Also for a while today the Brennan B2 did appear on the network as a computer for a while, however it could not be accessed. I will look at the the other threads as you have suggested and report back.

Thanks,

Mark

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2020, 9:16:55 AM11/23/20
to Brennan Forum
Mark

Do do a "Settings>Maintenance> WiFi Strength " and tell us what the result is please (all done on the front of the B2).

Have you changed your router or moved it ot the B2's location recently?

I think you can order a new card from the Brennan web site  https://www.brennan.co.uk/itembask.php

Fred.

Mark Lambourne

Nov 23, 2020, 12:03:04 PM11/23/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Fred,

Wifi strength is -57dbM

Mark

Daniel Taylor

Nov 23, 2020, 1:07:31 PM11/23/20
to Brennan Forum
-57 is not good.  Could easily be causing problems.

Mark Lambourne

Nov 23, 2020, 2:44:15 PM11/23/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel,

What would be a reasonable reading?

Mark

Daniel Taylor

Nov 23, 2020, 4:10:34 PM11/23/20
to Brennan Forum
Here's the standard advice regarding WiFi signal strength:
Your signal strength should be at least -60 (-50 being better, -70 being worse) and not fluctuate wildly.
To improve your signal strength, try the following:
Move your B2 closer to your router.
Switch the WiFi dongle to USB C.
Move your WiFi dongle to the end of a USB extension cable.
If none of that helps, you could try plugging a network cable between the inside back of the B2 and your router (and remove the WiFi dongle).

To be clear, I will say that some people don't have any problems with a signal strength between -50 and -60.  But it's on the edge.  Other things can contribute to problems, such as other electronics in the area, objects between the B2 and the router, etc.  (Paul has described it better.)
For comparison, the signal strength on my B2 runs betwee -27 and -30.  The only problems I've ever experienced I've laid at the feet of my browser not updating - a simple refresh took care of it.  Another way to think about this reading is to understand that the minus sign indicates a loss compared to a direct connection with a cable, that being zero loss.  So you want your reading to approach zero.   Of course, no matter what your signal strength is, if you're not having any problems, no need to change anything.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2020, 4:43:27 PM11/23/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mark,

I agree with Daniel, your WiFi strength is on the edge. I am not sure of your WiFi environment but if other live near you and they have recently changed their router this could be affecting you (even if it was ok before).

The first thing I would suggest is that, if your WifI is plugged into USB C, move it to USB A (why - because USB A has more electrical power than C) and see if that improves things.
You should also try moving the B2 closer to you router (testing WiFi Strength again) and see if this dose indeed clear your issue.

After this you could investigate these suggestions / solutions from the Brennan Web site
a.JPG

In my case I decided that I would do better with an Ethernet Power Line Adapter solution (eg) (I like the pass though ones that allow one to still plug into the electrical socket)

Which works OK for me (but some on the forum say that they get noise/interference from the mains)

Fred

PMB

Nov 24, 2020, 3:16:33 AM11/24/20
to Brennan Forum
HI Mark,

If the B2 behaves more reliably without the WiFi dongle it does suggest a network issue. Any chance of connecting via an Ethernet cable?

Let us know how it goes and if you need any further assistance.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Mark Lambourne

Nov 24, 2020, 8:17:16 AM11/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,

I have be running with both a Ethernet cable and Wifi dongle for the the past few years. The Wifi dongle was originally used because I couldn't use an Ethernet cable, I just hadn't removed it once I started using a wired connection. I will remove the dongle and see how things go.
Thanks

Mark

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2020, 9:23:15 AM11/24/20
to Brennan Forum
Using both at once is not a good option. If you can connect via cable Ethernet, then is is the best option and you should REMOVE the WiFi dongle.
Once you have your new SD card (you said you were getting one), insert it and do a Web Upgrade (using the B2's front controls), then do a "Scan Disk", then press in the "Stop/Play" button until "Saving"  appears on the B2, allow this to finish (the time comes back to the display).
Then power off for 30 second, power on again and test your system. Please then tell us how things are.

Fred

Mark Lambourne

Nov 25, 2020, 2:52:38 PM11/25/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Fred,

I have now used balenaetcher to flash the software image on my new SD card and followed the steps you outlined (i.e.Web Upgrade, Scan Disk, Saving). I have also switched NAS on and installed the Spotify support s/w. The B2 has now been running for over 8 hours and has not frozen. So using a new SD card looks to have resolved the issue. Thanks

Regarding the NAS question. I still cannot see the B2 on the network. I have tried the 'adding a Network Location' approach as outlined in the Forum thread, however when I enter //myB2IPaddress/music (I do enter the correct IP address) I get the message 'The folder that you have entered does not appear to be valid. Please chose another'. I am probably missing something somewhere.

Please note if I type the IP address in my PC browser I do get the Web interface and also in Spotify Brennan does appear as a speaker and works.

Mark

lesliebr...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2020, 3:12:21 PM11/25/20
to Brennan Forum
High Mark, I noticed the dashes in your IP address are the other way round from what I used. Here's a section from an earlier post of mine.

"No Paul, this was a Jon Scargill post 31st March 2018, and the solution that worked for both Jon and me was from Spike Haward. Here's his info:

Hi
If you search NAS you will see some earlier posts from me which seems to work.

All I did was go to file explorer; map network drive; choose the drive letter you want; select reconnect at logon; drive path would be \\youripaddress\music; enter the username and password when prompted and select save credentials - you then have a permanent connection.
I used the IP address as sometimes the PC does not resolve the device name.
Hope that helps

This method has worked for quite a few members."

Hope this may help.

Regards,

Leslie.

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2020, 4:18:18 PM11/25/20
to Brennan Forum
Mark

Not " //myB2IPaddress/music"
but
\\ myB2IPaddress\music

try that

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2020, 4:22:18 PM11/25/20
to Brennan Forum
If you still have problems look at this thread where my NAS disappeared and it to me ages to solve.......there were some good tips from others along the way!
Fred

PMB

Nov 26, 2020, 4:48:47 AM11/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mark,

Is SMB1.0 enabled on your PC - 'Turn Windows features on and off' > SMB1.0/CIFS > select SMB1.0/CIFS Client?

Paul
Brennan Support.

Mark Lambourne

Nov 26, 2020, 8:03:23 AM11/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Paul,

It was enabled, however I turned it off yesterday as I understood from other posts that it was a security risk.

Mark

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 26, 2020, 10:47:02 AM11/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Mark

did \\ rather than // work OK for you ..... have you now got a B2 NAS visible on you windows PC?

Fred.

Mark Lambourne

Nov 26, 2020, 12:28:49 PM11/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Sorry I meant to reply yesterday, that was a typo in my post. I have gone back and tried again today. The B2 isn't visible in File Manager. I tried creating a network location but once entering the id and password (i.e. root, brennan) it comes back saying cannot find the folder (i.e. \\myB2ipaddress\music).

Mark

lesliebr...@gmail.com

Nov 26, 2020, 12:51:17 PM11/26/20
to Brennan Forum
This is how it appears on my PC.
Screenshot (5)_LI.jpg

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 26, 2020, 1:43:58 PM11/26/20
to Brennan Forum
Mark

Try this:

a) Open the "Group Policy Editor" from an Windows Admin account - Click on the Windows "start" a.JPG then with your cursor in the blue area (but no clicking) type the word "Group". Windows should find and display the  "Group Policy Editor", Click on it.
b) go to the "Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options" path
c) find the entry "Network security: Restrict NTLM: Outgoing NTLM traffic to remote servers"
d) change its value to "Allow all" from the options.
e) save
f) exit the utility
g) reboot

Mark Lambourne

Nov 28, 2020, 11:39:25 AM11/28/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Fred,

Thanks for the information. I have decided not to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro at the moment, mainly a confidence issue. For the time being I have turned on DLNA which does allow me to use the PC to play Albums on other speakers I have. I will probably try and move to Pro at a later date.

Anyway thanks for your help.

Mark

fred.w....@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2020, 12:02:38 PM11/28/20
to Brennan Forum
OK,

The annoying thing for me was that my NAS had been working fine since 2016 then suddenly after a Windows Update, I could no longer see it. I tried everything to get it back. I feel very annoyed that I had to spend money with Microsoft to get Windows 10 Pro. to be able to edit group policies.
I suppose there is somewhere in the registry of Windows 10 that I could have found to change things without upgrading but I do not like editing the registry directly because you can kill your system so easily.

Fred