New Bluetooth Dongle.

Eccles

Aug 27, 2020, 12:33:18 PM8/27/20
to Brennan Forum

Hi, I was after a bit of help please.
I've just purchased an Avantree DG60 long range Bluetooth dongle so my Bluetooth can reach upstairs, on paper it looks like it's just a plug and play device, but, I plugged it into my B2 and it doesn't see it. It just says 'No Dongle'.
My B2 is up to date with all the latest software, I've tried it in both the USB ports. It's  Bluetooth 5 which I thought was backwards compatible.
Am I missing something or is it just not compatible?
Many thanks in advance, Nick.

john Henrick

Aug 27, 2020, 1:28:05 PM8/27/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi it needs to be csr4.0

Daniel Taylor

Aug 27, 2020, 3:02:53 PM8/27/20
to Brennan Forum
I think you're intending to use the Avantree DG60 instead of the B2 Bluetooth dongle.  If it's backward compatible, as you say, I see no reason that it wouldn't work.

When you check your B2 software version, be sure that the leading characters are 'B2B' and not just 'B2'.  B2B has added Bluetooth capabilities.

PMB

Aug 28, 2020, 4:34:57 AM8/28/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Eccles,

It looks like the DG60 is running BT5.0 firmware and the B2 only works with BT4.0. You need to exchange it for something like the 'Oasis' that connects to the B2 via an optical cable.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Daniel Taylor

Aug 28, 2020, 9:23:43 AM8/28/20
to Brennan Forum
Can someone clear something up for me?  I thought the Bluetooth version, eg 5.0, was for the transmitted signal from one Bluetooth device to another.  Would that also necessarily change the USB communications protocol between the source device (B2) and the dongle?  I wouldn't expect that necessarily to be the case.

Eccles

Aug 30, 2020, 6:47:38 AM8/30/20
to Brennan Forum
Many thanks for the replies, I'll see if Avantree will take the dongle back. Sods law it's reaching upstairs now but I might still get the other hub for consistency.

Peter Lowham

Aug 30, 2020, 7:09:31 AM8/30/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Guys,

BT5 is a new implementation with no backwards compatibility to any previous BT versions.  Below is a table which shows the comparion between BT4 and BT5.

Bluetooth 4.1 vs Bluetooth 4.2 vs Bluetooth 5 in a nutshellBluetooth 4 Vs. Bluetooth 5: A feature comparison 2

Regards,

Peter.

Eccles

Aug 30, 2020, 1:24:48 PM8/30/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Peter, if you  Google, just about every website says it's fully backwards compatible.

djlef...@gmail.com

Aug 30, 2020, 2:38:16 PM8/30/20
to Brennan Forum
I think Bluetooth 5 is backwards compatible in the sense that it can communicate with another device that is running an older version, but that does not imply the ability to install a BT5 adapter on hardware that isn't compatible.

Daniel Taylor

Aug 30, 2020, 4:15:16 PM8/30/20
to Brennan Forum
I don't think we have established that just because the Bluetooth to Bluetooth has changed, that the USB interface has to have changed too.

PMB

Aug 31, 2020, 4:54:26 AM8/31/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Daniel,

I've asked the question.

Paul
Brennan Support.

Mike Jones

Nov 1, 2020, 11:12:10 AM11/1/20
to Brennan Forum
So Paul, has there been any reply from Brennan Support on whether the BT 5.0 dongle with work with either B2 o B2B software please?
Mike

PMB

Nov 2, 2020, 4:56:02 AM11/2/20
to Brennan Forum
Hi Mike,

B2 and B2B only supports CSR4.0 version of Bluetooth currently.

Paul
Brennan Support.